Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2024, 06:17 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default The Spanish Motto

Over the years this distinct motto has been discussed as it is ubiquitous on many 'Spanish' blades of the 18th century, usually it seems those of the hexagonal section, double edged, dragoon type. While these blades seem to have typically been seen on the M1728 cavalry swords which were the regulation pattern for Spain through the 18th century.

NO ME SAQUES SIN RAZON
NO ME ENVAINES SIN HONOR

DO NOT DRAW ME WITHOUT REASON
NOR SHEATH ME WITHOUT HONOR

Aylward (1945, p.43) describes this aphorism (though in the French version, as they often used the 'motto' on blades as well)............as having been a perennial favorite...."since the Spaniards first invented it".

While the late RDC Evans, in his"The Plug Bayonet" (2002, #264, #265) states this motto seen on Spanish plug bayonets as early as 1650-70.
It seems odd to see this kind of motto on a bayonet.

Another apocryphal source claims that Fernando Jimenez de Quesada founding Bogota in 1538 was carrying a sword with these words on the blade.

So my question is......just how old is this motto, in these words, and was it
truly a Spanish convention?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2024, 06:48 PM   #2
midelburgo

The Spanish did not invent it. It can be found in Italian XVIth swords and possibly before that. Hoste (les Epees) has also French examples. I think I have not seen Spanish swords with it before 1650. The boastful meaning is not in the spirit of the previous period for Spain. Duels were very rare in Spain. Pious mottos, if any, were the norma.

In Spanish language, most of the blades sporting the motto were made in Germany. The most abundant ones, in Halbach, since 1770s, in Solingen previously. I do not know of Toledo blades with it.

Last edited by midelburgo; 10th April 2024 at 06:59 PM.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2024, 07:50 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by midelburgo View Post
... I do not know of Toledo blades with it.
Wouldn't this one be Spanish ? .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2024, 03:19 PM   #4
midelburgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Wouldn't this one be Spanish ? .
The first one is from about 1660, blade possibly Italian. Toledo production by then was minimal.
Old 11th April 2024, 04:45 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fernando and Midelburgo, thank you so much!!! This detail is very important in something I am presently engaged in writing, and incredibly helpful. Fernando, yes I do remember the discussions we have had on this through the years, and frankly I was always amazed at how much information you always come up with.
Midelburgo, your knowledge on Spanish swords has always been well reflected in your remarkable posts, and bring insights that are far beyond the resources I have had at hand.

The entries you have both provided here put this important topic in perfect perspective.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2024, 09:32 PM   #6
midelburgo

First one I believe Solingen. About 1760. Toledo was starting again in 1762, with Toledo and date etched on the blade. Possibly they are the same blades as some of the ENRIQUE COEL ones (there are 3 types of ENRIQUE COEL blades in 1728s).

Then, 3 from Halbach. Third one with a Batavian republic hilt. 1775-1810? Many have Montmorency blades.

Mexican machete probably Halbach.

Then two Solingen, after 1820, one marked by Knecht as well. For the Soth American Republics market.

Last one, also Solingen about 1740, in two lines. Easy to mistake with the blades 100 years younger. Central channel is narrower.

I have five "no me saques", 3 from Halbach, one unclear, one from Solingen after 1820.
Attached Images

Last edited by midelburgo; 11th April 2024 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10th April 2024, 07:37 PM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Jim, remember this one ?

"The Knights Templars would swear never to draw their swords unless convinced of the justice of the cause in which they were engaged, nor sheathe it until their enemies were subdued. Many swords used in this tradition, especially those from Spain, often bore the following engraving: “No me saques sin razon. No me embaines sin honor,” meaning “Do not draw me without justice, do not sheath me without honor.”

Last edited by fernando; 10th April 2024 at 08:04 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote