Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2024, 05:36 PM   #1
JISX

Default Please Help ID Carved Horn Deities

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for a little help in ID'ing these small carved horn deities(?) I purchased several months ago from a small auction. The auction mis-ID'ed them as carved resin wood monkeys, but I knew that was incorrect. I knew they were carved horn (what type, not sure) and not just monkeys.

After several months of internet research, I'm afraid to say I've drawn a blank of what these figures could be. I *think* they're some form of edge weapon handles and the figures are: 'Hanuman & Bhima' but I'm probably wrong? Can you all please help with the who, what, when and where of these objects? It'll be most appreciated!

The largest figure is approx: 4-1/2 x 2 x 1-1/2 inches.

Thank you all some much for your time and thoughts! Kind regards.
Attached Images

JISX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2024, 07:17 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I am moving this over to the Miscellaneous Forum because i am not convinced either of these were intended to be hilts for weapons. But i am fairly sure that if they were, they are not keris hilts. Only one has a hole for a tang and that hope seems more likely made to fit something other than a keris pesi.
I also don't believe either of these are meant to be deities. Certainly not Hanuman or Bhima. Though they might relate to some mythological storyline. The first one seems to be seated on a snake and the second one on a turtle. Anyone know any stories that make such connections?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2024, 08:10 PM   #3
JISX

Thanks for your reply and thoughts, most appreciated!

I assumed the figures (or at least one) was/is a deity (Hanuman) given that it appears to be strangling a serpent, wearing a loincloth, have Javanese Monkey God-like features and its forehead is centered with some form of "jewel". I also assume edge weapon given the size and curvature of the objects. They fit well in-hand almost like a handle/hilt. Again, I'm at a total loss of the who, what, when and where. Hopefully, someone here can please help direct me in the correct path ??
Old 13th August 2024, 11:22 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JISX View Post
Thanks for your reply and thoughts, most appreciated!

I assumed the figures (or at least one) was/is a deity (Hanuman) given that it appears to be strangling a serpent, wearing a loincloth, have Javanese Monkey God-like features and its forehead is centered with some form of "jewel". I also assume edge weapon given the size and curvature of the objects. They fit well in-hand almost like a handle/hilt. Again, I'm at a total loss of the who, what, when and where. Hopefully, someone here can please help direct me in the correct path ??
Sorry, i hadn't noticed that the monkey was wearing anything. I did note the "jewel" at the forehead, but Hanuman is usually depicted with far more elaborate headgear. If this is supposed to be Hanuman it seems a very poor depiction.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2024, 09:48 PM   #5
JISX

Understandable. Sometimes depicted wearing no garb at all such as in this 17th C. Hindu painting and bronze statue in, Nepal.

My figure also appears to be wearing a serpent necklace.

Whatever these figures are or intended to be, I don't believe they're just monkeys. There's something more to them. JMHO
Attached Images

Old 16th August 2024, 07:33 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I agree.
Both the monkey and the turtle are included in various aspects of Hinduism.
The one with the serpent is most likely Hanuman wrestling the Naga.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote