Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Any U.K. Members ... A Quest !

Have you ever heard of the alleged English made keris in Cutler's Hall Sheffield ?

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=cutlers+hall

Would any of you fellows care to take a photo and post it if you're in the area ?

Last edited by Rick; 9th January 2008 at 12:20 AM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 11:48 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Rick, going back about 30 years or so, an English friend of mine told me he had seen British made keris blades that were exported to Malaya.

About 15 years ago a highly respected European keris authority told me that the English had made keris blades for export to Malaya.

Going back about 8 years a highly respected American authority on the keris told me that keris blades had been exported to SE Asia by the British.

All hearsay, but one must ask if they were all wrong.

Personally I think its a good bet that the cutlers of Sheffield --- or maybe Birmingham--- identified a commercial opportunity.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I have to admit Alan, my curiousity has been piqued after Spiral made that remark .

I'd love to see this artifact of rumor and hearsay .

So who's for Cutler's Hall, eh ?!?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 08:17 PM   #4
lemmythesmith

Hi Rick,Alan, I've just had a look at Cutler's Hall website-it's now a conference and convention centre! I would imagine that the English keris possibly resides in the Royal Armouries in Leeds now. I would certainly believe that it exists-the English produced all kinds of edged weapons for many cultures, so a Sheffield or Birmingham keris wouldn't surprise me.
lemmythesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 08:57 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Its still around, but I'm uncertain where. I asked a good friend of mine yesterday if she had seen it on her recent visit to Sheffield, and she had. I know that she and her husband visited the Cutler's Hall, and even got into the "inner sanctum", so its probably there.
Old 17th March 2008, 10:44 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

I think I have an answer on the question of keris made in Sheffield.

I made approaches to a couple of people for photographs, and these approaches were unsuccessful, although I did get some promises.

Then I contacted the archivist for The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire, Dr. Joan Unwin.

Dr. Unwin returned several photos to me within a very short space of time.

These English keris, are not keris. They are European style daggers with flamboyant blades. I presume that the manufacturers of these daggers called them "keris" in much the same way that present day manufacturers call some models of pocket knives yataghans, & etc.

Three "keris" have been archived, two by Joseph Beal, one by Joseph Rogers.

I do not have Dr. Unwin's permission to publish these photos, and I feel disinclined to ask for this, however, anybody who would like to see these photos may contact me and request copies.

After seeing these daggers I cannot imagine what my previous informants were talking about.