Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2014, 08:33 PM   #1
blue lander

Default chassepot bayonet with atypical markings

I bought this chassepot bayonette recently, and the markings on it are a bit weird. The maker's mark is an A and C with scales in the middle which means it was made by Alex Coppel in Soligen. From what I read the serial number should be on the same side as the makers mark, but mine is on the opposite side. The serial number doesn't start with a letter either, which isn't right for a french issued weapon. On the serial number side there's a B in a circle.

Any idea what military issued this weapon?
Attached Images

blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Fernando K

Hello:

The yatagan chassepot bayonet was manufactured by Coppel t copied and provided to the rifles that were not chassepot: for example, the Argentine Remington model 1879 is armed with the bayonet, and the same goes with Egyptian Remington.

Affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 06:01 PM   #3
blue lander

Interesting, thank you. I've looked through some online databases of yataghan bayonets, and it looks like Remington ones have unchamfered hilt slots. Mine's chamfered, which make me assume it was for a chassepot.

Old smithy's database mentions a Remington bayonet "marked with Alex Coppel balance on left side of blade and has a "C" in a circle on the right hand side. Has un chamfered hilt slot" That's close to mine except mine has a "B" instead of a "C" and the hilt slot on mine is chamfered.
Attached Images

blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Fernando K

Hello:

I live in Argentina, and I am a lover of history of the weapons used. I assure you the Comblain came to be used long after 1871, as the link says, and breechloaders first came into use in 1873 (Remington rifle, Robert, who was a convert to the Springfield breech). Notwithstanding this, some weapons retrocrga, conversion of muzzleloaders, such as the Albini-Brandlin, but were never officially adopted.

Affectionately. Fernando K

Sorry for the translator
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote