Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default Miquelet pistol for ID

Who could tell me more about this miquelet pistol.
For me it seems comming from the Caucasus because I have read that in the Caucasus the usual pistols have very light, slim barrels, miquelet locks and very large globular pommels but I need confirmation.
Any comment are welcome

Cerjak
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Didn't Caucasian pistols have button triggers, instead of traditional, like the one in yor example ?!

... Is that a (maker) mark in the lock plate, or just a scratch ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Fernando K

Hola:

La llave (lock) de miguelete es llamada "a la morlacca" o "a la mojacca" y producida en Brescia para su exportación a Oriente, y reproducida por los armeros locales. No se vé bien por las fotografías, pero me parece que el rastrillo (frizeen) tiene una cola removible, por cola de milano, cuando la piedra ha producido desgaste.
En cuanto al arco del guardamonte, se puede haber perdido, habría que examinar la parte inferior a ver si se vé alguna marca o perforación.
En cuanto al tamaño de la bola, si es un trabajo nativo, no es significativo.

Afectuosamente. Fernando K

Hi

This Miguelete lock is called "the Morlacco" or "the mojacca" and was produced in Brescia for export to the East, and reproduced by local gunsmiths. Difficult to see in the pictures, but i think the frizzen has a removable face, to be replaced when too much worn by the flint.
Concerning a possible trigger guard, it may have been lost; you should examine the underside to check for marks or holes.
As for the size of the ball, if it is a native work, it is not a remarkable one.

Affectionately. Fernando K

Last edited by fernando; 20th January 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Translation
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 01:49 PM   #4
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
... Difficult to see in the pictures, but i think the frizzen has a removable face, to be replaced when too much worn by the flint...
Yes, its protuberance makes it look like the typical replaceable ones.
Old 20th January 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Right, the trigger is of a shape which is highly unusual for Caucasus but the ball-shaped pommel is very typical of that region.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 06:27 PM   #6
rickystl

Hi Jean Luc. That's a very interesting pistol. 1) The lock "style" looks very much Albanian. I post a photo of an Albanian lock below for comparison. Note the similarities. 2) The pistol looks like it was made without a trigger guard. But the trigger itself also looks styled like other Albanian pistols I've seen/own. Albanian pistols were usually made with iron or brass triggerguards. But, I've seen a couple that were not. 3) I attach a photo of a typical Caucassan pistol I own. They are very different.

I don't reconize the decoration on the grip area. Hmmmm. If I had to guess, I would say this is an Albanian pistol or possibly North African utilizing these parts. Again, interesting pistol. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
Hola:

La llave (lock) de miguelete es llamada "a la morlacca" o "a la mojacca" y producida en Brescia para su exportación a Oriente, y reproducida por los armeros locales. No se vé bien por las fotografías, pero me parece que el rastrillo (frizeen) tiene una cola removible, por cola de milano, cuando la piedra ha producido desgaste.
En cuanto al arco del guardamonte, se puede haber perdido, habría que examinar la parte inferior a ver si se vé alguna marca o perforación.
En cuanto al tamaño de la bola, si es un trabajo nativo, no es significativo.

Hi

This Miguelete lock is called "the Morlacco" or "the mojacca" and was produced in Brescia for export to the East, and reproduced by local gunsmiths. Difficult to see in the pictures, but i think the frizzen has a removable face, to be replaced when too much worn by the flint.
Concerning a possible trigger guard, it may have been lost; you should examine the underside to check for marks or holes.
As for the size of the ball, if it is a native work, it is not a remarkable one.

Hi Fernando
This pistol never had trigger guard ( no holes or mark) and on the lock it' s a mark but I 'm enable to read I will try again.
For the "rastrillo " I will check ,removable face ! If it is the case it will be the first time I will see it .Not common ? So you means that it will be possible that this parts had been stuck to become removable ?

Kind regards
Cerjak
Old 26th January 2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Fernando K

Hola Cerjak:

La pieza removible es frecuente en las llaves de miguelete; incluso antes, en la llamada "de Agujeta". LAVIN se ha ocupado extensamente del tema, con algunas fotografías y dibujos. También se usó por los armeros árabes: Lavin trae alguna fotografía. Permitía hacer el rastrillo de hierro, y adicionar una placa de acero o hierro cementado, con economía de recursos.

Hello Cerjak:

The removable parts is common in Miguelete keys, even before the so-called "of Agujetas." Lavin has dealt extensively with the topic, with some photographs and drawings. It was also used by Arab armourers: Lavin brings a photograph. Allowed to make frizen of iron, and add a plate of hardened cemented iron, with an economy of resources.

Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 10:42 PM   #9
fspic

I also say the lock is Albanian as I have some like it.
fspic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 01:56 PM   #10
fernando

Oh yes,
The famous traditional Albanian Cavalry pistols, so called "rat tail".

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Cerjak

Default ALBANIAN PISTOL

Hi Fernando,
I have his brother !!
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2012, 09:51 PM   #12
G. McCormack

Interesting pistol. Any chance the grip looks reworked and the pommel seems to be a too-small replacement? The pommel cap looks like the face of a repurposed metal button, and the other metal overlays on the wood look out of place to me as well.
G. McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote