Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th November 2010, 05:14 AM   #1
eques

Default Visayan suspension

I was recently interested in Philippines bolo, particularly the bolo from the Visayan region. After some searching, I have came across the picture from Wikimedia commons here:

My question is as follows: What types of suspension is most common among a Visayan bolo? Is the sword suspended using belt or with a baldric? I've also noticed that the scabbard slides on B, C looks similar to a viking scabbard slide. However it seems to permit thin rope through it instead of a typical leather baldric I am familiar with.

Not to bog down with too much question, but how is scabbard type A suspended anyway? From the picture seems to me it does not have a scabbard slide or any suspension method I am familiar with.

Thanks!
eques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Let me take a stab. I think "A" would be thrust through a sash like they do in other parts of the Visayas.

You are right about the others - they would be tied on by a rope or rope like material through little slots/holes in the scabbards, like other parts of the Philippines.

Hope this helps and welcome to the world of collecting Philippine weaponry. Several of us also collect these.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 02:50 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

AS JOSE SAID IT APPEARS THERE WERE AT LEAST 2 WAYS SWORDS AND WORK KNIVES WERE CARRIED. WORK KNIVES USUALLY HAVE THE CORD TYPE OF CARRY. WHEN WORKING AND FOR EVERYDAY WEAR IN THE TROPICS A SORT OF BREACH CLOTH IS THE NORM. A TIGHT CORD FASTENED AROUND THE WAIST ON OR ABOVE THE BREACHCLOTH FORMING THE BELT SEEMS TO BE THE NORM. THE OTHER WAY IS TIEING A CLOTH AROUND THE WAIST OVER THE BREACHCLOTH BELT AND THRUSTING THE SWORD SCABBARD THRU IT.
NOT EASY TO FIND PICTURES TO ILLISTRATE CLEARLY BUT HERE A FEW. ONE IS A DAYAK SHOWING THE BELT/CORD. ALL THE OTHERS SHOW PHILIPPINE WARRIORS IFUGAO AND KALINGA. NOTE HOW TIGHT THEY KEPT THE WAIST OF THEIR BREACHCLOTH. ANOTHER SMALL TIGHT CORD WOULD NOT HAVE BOTHERED THEM MUCH. IN ONE PICTURE IT SHOWS A MARRIAGE AND THE KRIS APPEARS TO BE HUNG BY A CLOTH POSSIBLY ITS ANTING ANTING?? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS??
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Spunjer

batara, i don't believe visayans from the lowlands, or in the case of the sword, ilonggo men wear patadyongs (malongs) back in the days. women did. pictured below is a rattan belt that goes around the waist where if you notice ilonggo scabbards has a leather wrapped around the throat and the out facing side has a small flap that clips on these belts. we were more en vogue with the spaniards back then, lol.
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Hey Spunger,

Great picture and information. Salamat po.

Never said they wore malongs, however.
Old 14th November 2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Spunjer

My bad. I was referring to the sash you mentioned, which i took was malong or patadyong in vernacular terms...
Old 15th November 2010, 01:09 AM   #7
migueldiaz

spunjer, thanks for that pic. would that (quick release of the scabbard from the waist) be also because in some filipino martial arts, the scabbard is used in the other hand as some sort of a buckler? thanks in advance

eques, here's a related thread showing how a panay island sanduko (also called taribong) is strapped to the waist.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Spunjer

Truthfully, the loops are pretty secure to hook, enough that it doesn't unhook so easily. IMHO, these were made out of necessity by a common person who worked the farm, so i would say the martial aspect would be the last thing in his mind. Also keep in mind that generally, FMA in its basic form uses one hand for offense/defense (using stick or blade) while the free hand is there for checking. Although in the more advance stage, and some styles do use both hands, i've yet to see one that uses the scabbard as part of the curriculum. I suppose it's been done.. like the way manny did last night, only with no sticks
Old 15th November 2010, 03:08 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Some of the Sulu peoples did use the barong scabbard as a parrying shield in consort with the barong.
Old 15th November 2010, 03:24 AM   #10
migueldiaz

thanks for the comments
Old 15th November 2010, 03:58 AM   #11
Spunjer

I shoulda been more specific, lol. FMA normally denotes as the martial arts of luzon and visayas while the brethrens down south refer to their arts as silat... and yes you're right, batara, i believe they use the scabbard on conjunction with their sword...
Old 15th November 2010, 05:59 AM   #12
migueldiaz

salamat ... i just recalled now that such a pic appeared in cato's moro swords.
Attached Images