Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Atlantia

Exclamation 6.3 Quake has hit Christchurch New Zealand.

Just in case anyone isn't aware of it, New Zealand has suffered another very serious quake measuring 6.3.
At this point the BBC are reporting that the worst hit area is the center of Christchurch, with 65 people killed, and some 200 are trapped under the rubble.

Our thoughts are with the people of Christchurch and hopes that we will hear soon that forumites/friends there including of course our good friend 'kahnjar1-Stu' and his family are safe and well.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

My thoughts are with you NZ brothers. I too hope Stu and family are AOK as I hope Brians are too along with any of the quiet type lurking in the background.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 01:56 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

My prayers are with NZ. I hope everyone is safe.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Dom

Might I joined me in yours prayers, thanks

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:34 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Smile Thanks Heaps!!!

All my family are OK. We have been VERY lucky. The city centre has really been badly affected though. Most damage central and east side with many dead and missing. We are located on west side near airport and on much more "stable" ground thankfully, so damage minimal but shaken to bits!! Much more damage than the original 7.1 which we had on Sept 4 last year, as this one was very shallow.....
Your concerns are greatly appreciated thanks.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
All my family are OK. We have been VERY lucky. The city centre has really been badly affected though. Most damage central and east side with many dead and missing. We are located on west side near airport and on much more "stable" ground thankfully, so damage minimal but shaken to bits!! Much more damage than the original 7.1 which we had on Sept 4 last year, as this one was very shallow.....

Really relieved to hear you and you're family are ok mate, thanks for taking a mo' to let us know.
Hope to god that there's no more aftershocks or quakes.
We're with you in spirit buddy.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:18 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Really relieved to hear you and you're family are ok mate, thanks for taking a mo' to let us know.
Hope to god that there's no more aftershocks or quakes.
We're with you in spirit buddy.
Would like to think you are right about the aftershocks but somehow I think we will be having those for quite some time yet.
We were still getting small ones (before this) after the Sept 4 quake, so they just seem to go on and on. Can tell you we are well "over it"!!...................
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Norman McCormick

Quote:
I'm very pleased to hear that you and yours have come through physically unscathed. Our 'Kiwi cousins' will be in our prayers now and in the difficult days to come.
My very best Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:42 PM   #9
Nathaniel

Exclamation

Quote:

Glad to hear you are Okay, Stu. I just saw the news on the TV and thought of you. As echoed above and below, our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:58 AM   #10
TVV

Glad to hear you and your family have not been harmed Stu. Hope your city recovers quickly.
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:17 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Stu Im so glad you and your wife are OK, do you know where Brian is located and if he's OK?
Our thoughts and prayers to all of you there in this terrible disaster.
Please stay safe,

Best hopes,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:44 AM   #12
kahnjar1

Smile

Once again THANKYOU ALL. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated at this very worrying time.
Brian (Illiad) lives in Waihi which is a small town near Thames in the North Island. Some several hundred miles north of here so he is not affected by this quake. Most of NZ is subject to earthquakes from time to time, but it is just luck (or not) as to where the bigger ones happen.
It is going to take a very long time to sort this one out I think, as the damage to the CBD is huge.
Old 23rd February 2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Iliad

Default Christchurch Eartthquake

Hi guys,
Thank you all very much for your kind thoughts and prayers. I live some hundreds of miles away from Christchurch and am quite unaffected. I am of course very distressed at the tragedy.
I do so much appreciate your best wishes and regard you all as family.
I have not posted much of recent times, my humble collection cannot match the amazing and fabulous items that you guys have in your collections.
God bless,
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Atlantia

Relieved to hear you were nowhere near this disaster Brian.

News is on now, they are saying 75 confirmed dead, 200+ still missing.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:17 PM   #15
kahnjar1

Default Some examples of damage

Firstly I must thank the Moderators for keeping this thread open as it can hardly be construed as Ethnographic Weapons, more natures weapon I think!
Here are some pics of damage which might be of interest to those lucky members who are not subject to quakes. Obviously the CBD where most damage and death has occured, is in lockdown for search and rescue purposes so these are buildings in the suburbs.
The flooding is caused be liquifaction which is sand and water pushed up thru the top strata by pressures created below.
As you can see from the MONTEITHS sign, the humour is still there despite everything else!
Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2011, 10:27 PM   #16
Lew
(deceased)

Stu

I am glad to hear that you and your family are all ok. I am just surprised that none of the geologists saw this coming since you only had one 5 months ago? Lets hope this is the last big quake for a very very long time.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:34 PM   #17
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Stu

I am glad to hear that you and your family are all ok. I am just surprised that none of the geologists saw this coming since you only had one 5 months ago? Lets hope this is the last big quake for a very very long time.
AMEN to that!!
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:40 PM   #18
Atlantia

Stu,

The news was saying earlier that around 300 people are missing. Is that accurate to what you're hearing?
Some very distressing scenes of people waiting by collapsed buildings.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:20 PM   #19
fearn

Hard to see, but I'm glad you're okay, Stu.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 12:20 AM   #20
kahnjar1

Unhappy Casualties etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Stu,

The news was saying earlier that around 300 people are missing. Is that accurate to what you're hearing?
Some very distressing scenes of people waiting by collapsed buildings.
Right up to date and just announced, there are 76 confirmed dead, and unknown number missing. The figure missing can not be verified as it is not known at this stage if there are duplications on the list, or people have left the city without notifying anyone. Certainly the death toll will rise and I think dramaticly as rubble is cleared.
You will see on the wall of the church in the last pic, the letters V TF2 = 2 people to find. There are other signs like 1?/2? meaning maybe a body or bodies, so time will tell the exact toll.
Up to date info is on www.stuff.co.nz for those interested.
Stu
Old 24th February 2011, 12:37 AM   #21
VANDOO
(deceased)

MY PRAYERS ARE WITH ALL WHO HAVE LOST FAMILY FRIENDS OR PROPERTY IN THE DISASTER. MAY THOSE WHO ARE MISSING SHOW UP ALL RIGHT AND MAY YOU ALL RECOVER SOON. I AM GLAD TO HEAR OUR FORUM MEMBERS IN THE REGION ARE ALL OK.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 04:27 AM   #22
Nathaniel

Exclamation

Quote:
Right up to date and just announced, there are 76 confirmed dead, and unknown number missing. The figure missing can not be verified as it is not known at this stage if there are duplications on the list, or people have left the city without notifying anyone. Certainly the death toll will rise and I think dramaticly as rubble is cleared.
You will see on the wall of the church in the last pic, the letters V TF2 = 2 people to find. There are other signs like 1?/2? meaning maybe a body or bodies, so time will tell the exact toll.
Stu
Wow, Stu, thanks for sharing the pictures.... V TF 2.....that is very sobering...very saddening...
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 04:37 AM   #23
Berkley

Stu,
Very relieved to learn that you are unharmed. Thoughts and prayers with all who are having to deal with such a tragic disaster.
Berk
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 08:22 PM   #24
kahnjar1

Quote:
Stu
As at 8am this morning NZ Time confirmed dead 103 and missing 250 approx.
Stu
Old 24th February 2011, 09:03 PM   #25
Atlantia

Quote:
As at 8am this morning NZ Time confirmed dead 103 and missing 250 approx.
Stu

They've said on TV here that hope is fading fast.

Lets hope that they are wrong.