Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th June 2024, 08:32 PM   #1
Marcus den toom

Default Dutch target arquebuse dated 1630

This special "arquebuse" (for a lack of a better term) came to me recently. First the obvious, it is in need of restoration. A delicate proces i intend to do right.
The lack of sources on these guns makes it difficult to be sure how this gun would have looked like complete. Especially the lock is up for debate.
My, somewhat educated, guess is that it would employ a snap match/tinder lock. This would work best, i think, in combination with the set hair trigger action. This is also underlined by earlier work by Michael and Richard: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7524 post 7 and 8.
The barrel has been altered to percussion action but even though the new addition, there is no evidence to sugest a powder pan integral to the barrel. Which leads me to assume it would have been a powderpan integral to the lock. Of this i have seen some other instances as well with these type of guns.

As to the rest, it has some wood worm damage and cracks. And, something which upsets me without bounds, a damage to the barrel mouth. This was done during transport and was due to a lack of good packaging. Lessons learned, always instruct the people that handle your precious antiques, they seem not to comprehend simple logic... pointy item will want to point through some bubblewrap and a single layer cardboard box.. end rant, sorry.

The rest of the gun has to speak for itself as i did little to no investigation on its marvelous decorations and design, yet.

My question to all who might find these guns interesting too is: Do you have pictures or information on any of such Dutch target guns. Lock type (in and outside), trigger guard design and sights are most precious to me, but any information is welcome. I will of course update on the progress, which might be slow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Marcus den toom; 17th June 2024 at 08:46 PM.
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote