Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st October 2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Teresa

Default Just wanted to say thanks Guy's and maybe an odd guyess Ref Yemeni Jambiya or Sabiki

I am not a collector - I know stuff all about Ethnographic Arms - I am afraid my interest is mainly black powder weapons - I used to be in the British Womens Royal Army Corps Rifle & Pistol teams, before I became disabled - and have some black powder weapons I have tried to fire at Bisley --- I came across this wonderful website when I was trying to do some research over a long dagger/sword that was from Arabic origins - with yr help and lots of other websites I think I have sort of identified it - I could still be way out -who knows - All that matters is that it reaches a good price on e bay to provide funding for a trip I am undertaking in Mid October to work at at an AIDS orphanage - I am with a team who are going to build an extension to feed more kids - can't do an awful lot - but I can measure wood and stuff for someone else to cut! An experience of a lifetime and if someone else gets a new collectible they love then great - I loved it - didn't know what it was - but has sat next to my flintlock pistols on the mantlepiece for yrs - but need must and I didn;t want to sell them....

Just wanted to say a very sincere thank you for some lovely knowledgable people here - it really helped - If you want when the auction finishes I can post pictures here so all can enjoy and gain further knowledge from another piece of nostalgia....

Unlike others that maybe come here and get info and use it - I have at least acknowledged the help you gave me in the search for "what is it" on the e bay listing ...

You are great

Thanks

Teresa
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2005, 04:19 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Teresa,
Thank you very much for following up and for your very kind words. It is very impressive when someone does acknowledge and express gratitude as you have done, and it is in my opinion extremely rewarding, I'm sure the other members feel the same way.

I am also very impressed by your very astute recognition of forum protocol concerning discussion of auction items, and look forward to hearing more on the item you are presenting. It is always good to learn as you have noted.

All very best wishes to you and every success in your admirable work!!

Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2005, 05:33 AM   #3
Andrew

Hi Teresa. Have you posted under another username?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Teresa

Thumbs up Names and results of auction!!!!

Andrew - No this is the only name I am registered in "Teresa" - sometime called Terry - as I wasn't always the most feminine of people when I was in the Forces as a Staff Sgt - something to do with being a truck driving weapons training instructor I suppose

Jim - thanks for your kind words too... Still auction has ended so I can know tell you all about the item I was trying to identify - and leave you with some pictures for someone else to use for research, and what my description ended up as - in case it helps other people in the future! If what I have said or assumed is totally wrong then please feel free to add or correct it - so that others are helped!

It was Auction number 6564908488 - It got 8 bids - ended up at £107 - don't know whether that was good or bad - most of the people bidding on it seemed to know their stuff - judging by the other things they had bought off e bay in the past - ethnic swords - daggers etc - bids from UK USA and finally a winner in Germany - for all I know some of them could be members of this forum... Still at least I started off my description by saying I hadn't a clue .....and until I had spent 6 hrs on the internet trying to find out what it was... hopefully I got fairly close!

Not a massive profit I paid £80 for it several years ago and by the time you take the e bay fees and paypal etc into consideration - maybe a break even.

Still it all helps - My boyfriend & I have have raised over £3500 for the actual materials for the project in South Africa through Fun days at work etc but all travel air fares, car hire and accomodation has to be met by ourselves - only fair really as people want to give to the actual project - not funding International air fares ... so we have been both selling bits and pieces on e bay to pay for our own expenses.

But I did buy something that all of you will laugh at - that is definitely a souvenir piece to replace my genuine one 6564013340 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...B:EOIBSA:UK:31 A Silver Omani Dagger is presentation case for £10.49 which is not a lot even for a fake, & it will look ok on the wall!

Decsription I ended up with was...

Silver metal mounted Jambiya/Sibiki Sword or Long Dagger from Yemen. Probably a Gusbi Jambiya from Hadramaut, South Yemen. Heavy silver metal scabbard, which weighs 300 grams, of top quality filigree work in the scabbard & Pommel.

This type of scabbard and similar filigree work were most probably done by Jewish Goldsmiths & Silversmiths, which were the major producers of high quality fittings for the local Jambiya’s or Sibiki’s. The blade is of the classical curved and double edge form with a central rib, 14 inches long and 2 inches wide near the pommel. Overall length is 22"and the scabbard at it's widest part is 3",

The grip and the scabbard are of similar silver work with granulation patterns, circles and triangles. The back of the pommel is engraved with Arabic inscriptions which could have been the original owners or makers name perhaps.

Condition: Minor marks on the blade, and some residue of old (not recent) “glue” or fixant where the blade was fixed to the pommel. There is no damage to the filigree work. There is one v small crack on the back of the scabbard which is only ½” long. There also appears to have been a strap or fixing towards the top of the scabbard at the back, which is no longer there. There are some minor dents and dings in the back of the scabbard but these could have been present from original manufacture. This is a very nice example of The Sibiki form of the Yemenite Jambiya, probably late 19th or early 20 Century. A real piece of silversmith’s art.

I know absolutely nothing about foreign silver or silver metal alloys so cannot comment on the grade of silver used in this item – or if indeed it is even silver.

My thanks to this board was... "Then thanks to visiting several message boards for collectors (particularly the Ethnographic Arms & Armour Discussion board – thanks guys!) The Yemen Observer Newspaper & various dealer’s sites I found out much more information."

Pictures below - PLEASE don't tell me I have sold an outstandingly valuable piece for peanuts - or I will have to throw my teddy out of my pram and go down the garden to eat worms - after all I am a girlie

Again thanks for having such a brilliant resourse - very awe inspiring and a bit scarey that you people know SO much ...

Kind Regards

Teresa (AKA Terry)
Attached Images

Old 3rd October 2005, 08:28 PM   #5
Teresa

Default More info - this was one of the other sites I used to identify it

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/item.php?id=144 and see http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/photos.php?id=144
This item was identical to mine apart from the length - mine substantially longer hence reference to Sabiki - rather than Jambiya - This site certainly helped in narrowing down the search too - I would assume as collectors and dealers they know what the are talking about!
Old 3rd October 2005, 09:40 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Teresa,

I am into Indian weapons, but I admire your will to help, just like I admire your pictures, they are just what collectors want to see. Best wishes for the future

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Teresa

Default Does anyone need any more pictures before I post it???

Thanks Jens ... Before it leaves here - does anyone need different pictures for the archives - close ups of anything I have missed ??? Have a reasonable camera that does macro close up stuff ....
Cheers

Teresa
Old 4th October 2005, 05:49 AM   #8
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa
Andrew - No this is the only name I am registered in "Teresa" - sometime called Terry - as I wasn't always the most feminine of people when I was in the Forces as a Staff Sgt - something to do with being a truck driving weapons training instructor I suppose
Hi Teresa. I understand. I only asked because it seemed like you had been here before. A bit confusing, as this thread was your first post.

I'm glad we were of some assistance. Good luck with your endeavors.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote