Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2024, 04:50 PM   #1
Ed

Default A Pilgrim Sword

Ages ago I got friendly with Bill Guthman who is/was widely known as an expert on Americana, particularly colonial weapons and more particularly, powder horns.

https://www.antiquesandthearts.com/n...-guthman-dies/

I bought a number of things from him, including the sword that is the subject of this post.

It is called a "Pilgrim Sword" because it's form is similar to those that are pretty conclusively linked to the first settlers of the Plymouth Colony.
https://www.pilgrimhall.org/ce_arms_armor.htm

The length is 38 3/4" overall with a blade of 33 3/4". The point is worn and there are the barest remnants of decoration on the ricosso.

The date? First half of the 17th Century.
Attached Images

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2024, 11:46 PM   #2
Hotspur

Great piece

Lots of period swords are appropriate as 'pilgrim swords' because of the voyages and their origins. I visited the Plymouth museum and (at that time) was more interested in the matchlocks exhibited. I am one of some 14 million descendants of Richard Warren. More through Virginia in that century and some early militia cavalry members. Various compound hilts of those days.

Cheers
GC
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 11:07 AM   #3
Triarii

That's a nice piece. I have a soft spot for those. There are a number of those in the colonies.

On this side of the Atlantic they're known as Riding swords, which is a contemporary term documented in c.1620. Sort of beefier, less decorated weapons than your rapier for use when out and about. I think they're more first quarter of the C17th in this style, slightly evolving in form in the second quarter. One of the earlier type was found at the site of the battle of Powick Bridge (1642).

I have one pretty much the same, with IOHANNES BRACH and an anchor in each fuller and ANNO 1614 on both sides of the blade.

Pics below, with the slightly later(?) form on the right. The right hand one has a double edged blade marked ME FECIT SOLINGEN and IOHANNES [unclear].
Fear not - the blade close up is right after I excitedly uncovered the markings but before final cleaning.
Attached Images

Triarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 11:18 AM   #4
Triarii

The Powick Bridge sword. Now in the Commandery Museum, Worcester UK.
Attached Images

Triarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 12:58 AM   #5
M ELEY

Wow! All amazing examples of a form used both in Europe and in the early American colonies. On a side note, I just saw a Hounslow sword supposedly from the Jamestown settlement or there-abouts. If only these fellows could talk!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote