Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th February 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Alexander

Default The European sword.

Dear friends. I have an European sword. But unfortunately I don't know the country and manufacturing time. I will be glad to hear opinion of the colleagues. Respect, Alexander.
Attached Images

Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 04:21 AM   #2
laEspadaAncha

At the risk of missing the mark entirely without first consulting my meager reference library, the grip scale inserts and fleur de lis on the cross guard both have a distinctively French feel IMHO.

Does the capstan (rivet) unscrew from the pommel? The image of the knight on the scabbard gives the sword a fraternal feel, though the general sword pattern somewhat resembles court swords or diplomatic swords of the Victorian era.

I'm sure someone else will be able to contribute something more definitive than my best-guess efforts...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 01:48 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I completely agree with Chris' observations on this sword, there are a number of elements in the motif that suggest fraternal, perhaps even Masonic symbolic associations. However, as he well notes, the framed ivory grips and the neoclassical styling suggests French potential, and the blade seems to reflect French military blades of Napoleonic and post Napoleonic times. I am inclined toward the probable mid to latter 19th century and diplomatic or court sword suggestion as well.
It would be great if we had anyone out there better versed in French swords, I'm afraid my resources there are pretty sparse also.

The palladian style motif with semi circular shape and radiating flutes, as well as the same radiating fluting on the pommel cap, neoclassical style pommel, and columnar fluting all suggest French design. Similar designs are seen on some French swords end of the 18th century which set the pace for traditional designs in court swords through the 19th.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote