Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th January 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Iain

Default African spear for ID

This came in the mail today. I didn't have time to take my own photos but here's a couple from the seller.

He and I weren't 100% sure of what it is. There was some thought it could be Ngombe or a similar Congo group, but the shape is a bit odd for that. The butt of the spear is sadly missing, although there obviously was one at some point.

Overall it's 202cm.

Anyone seen something similar?
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Iain

To give a sense of size and scale, a quick shot with it up against some takouba on the wall.
Attached Images

Old 12th January 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
colin henshaw

Hi Iain

Can you post an image of the rest of it...

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Iain

Hi Colin, few more images attached. There's not a lot else to show. The shaft is wood, the but shows clearly there was some kind of shoe on it at some point. There is a brass tack inserted into the shaft about 2/3rds of the way up.
Attached Images

Old 12th January 2013, 02:04 PM   #5
colin henshaw

Thanks Iain,

I can't be of much help on this one unfortunately - and can only offer a few observations :-

Those engraved decorations and angled ridging are quite common on knives and spears from the Congo area, as is the strip copper wrap and the use of brass upholstery tacks.

However the cross-piece element is atypical, as is the pronounced narrow mid-rib. In fact, the whole profile of the blade, reminds me of European polearms/halberds...

Its a very long shot, and most likely not the case here, but I have once seen a Congo knife made in the form of a mediaeval European dagger. Probably a commission by a Belgian colonial to a native blacksmith. But I mention this just in passing.

Hopefully another forumite can give a clearer attribution to the spear.

Regards,
Colin
Old 13th January 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Thanks Iain,

I can't be of much help on this one unfortunately - and can only offer a few observations :-

Those engraved decorations and angled ridging are quite common on knives and spears from the Congo area, as is the strip copper wrap and the use of brass upholstery tacks.

However the cross-piece element is atypical, as is the pronounced narrow mid-rib. In fact, the whole profile of the blade, reminds me of European polearms/halberds...

Its a very long shot, and most likely not the case here, but I have once seen a Congo knife made in the form of a mediaeval European dagger. Probably a commission by a Belgian colonial to a native blacksmith. But I mention this just in passing.

Hopefully another forumite can give a clearer attribution to the spear.

Regards,
Colin
Hi Colin,

Many thanks for the comments. I'm just starting in on Congo items so its all a bit new to me.

I seem to recall also seeing copies of Portuguese swords from the Congo coast. As you say, this could be a case of a native copy of a European polearm.

The blade shape puzzled me as well. The midrib isn't a feature I recall seeing in Congo spears really, and looks more like something from Sudan or the Sahel (although I'm sure it isn't in this case).

Hopefully other forumites who collect in these areas will be able to shed some light on it.
Old 13th January 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT REMINDS ME A LITTLE OF ABSYNIAN SPEARS (ETHIOPIA) BUT JUST A GUESS AS I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING JUST LIKE IT. A NICE SPEAR REGARDLESS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
IT REMINDS ME A LITTLE OF ABSYNIAN SPEARS (ETHIOPIA) BUT JUST A GUESS AS I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING JUST LIKE IT. A NICE SPEAR REGARDLESS.
Thanks Barry for the comments. I've had Dinka as a suggestion for similarities as well.

Returning to the Congo idea... Where some groups in much trade contact with outside groups (beyond the European activities in the western part of the region)? Or where they fairly isolated societies?
Old 18th January 2013, 09:57 AM   #9
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Thanks Barry for the comments. I've had Dinka as a suggestion for similarities as well.

Returning to the Congo idea... Where some groups in much trade contact with outside groups (beyond the European activities in the western part of the region)? Or where they fairly isolated societies?
Regarding trade contact in the Congo area (apart from European colonial activity) - I'm a bit hazy, but certainly there was some Arab/Swahili penetration from the East in the mid-late 19th century. I think traditional weapons were made in the Congo up to the 1950s at least ? - I have seen a Congo sword with a date engraved from that time. But our Belgian forumites should be able to advise much better on this.

Regards.
Old 18th January 2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Regarding trade contact in the Congo area (apart from European colonial activity) - I'm a bit hazy, but certainly there was some Arab/Swahili penetration from the East in the mid-late 19th century. I think traditional weapons were made in the Congo up to the 1950s at least ? - I have seen a Congo sword with a date engraved from that time. But our Belgian forumites should be able to advise much better on this.

Regards.
Hi Colin, that's more or less my understanding as well. But I have to admit I know very little in this area and the Congo is still somewhat of a giant monolithic spot on the map in my mind - but I'm hoping that changes and others will chime in.

I thought there were quite a few Congo collectors on the forum, hopefully they'll see this thread at some point.