Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th December 2010, 08:53 PM   #1
kino

Default An Aboriginal spear

Picked this up a while back. Don't know much about it. Perhaps someone can shine some light on it for me, as a favor.
A Aboriginal Tiwi (?), wooden barbed spear. I saw one similar on an ethnographic website. Also saw one at the Bishop Museum but didn't really pay attention to it.
This one is an uncut spear, length 7'7.5", width
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

YES IT LOOKS LIKE A TIWI SPEAR FROM MELVILLE OR BATHURST ISLAND A BIT NORTH OF DARWIN AUSTRALIA. NICE ONE AND UNUSUAL TO FIND ONE STILL FULL LEGNTH AND NOT CUT OFF. CONGRADULATIONS
I VISITED THE TIWI ONCE AND THEY USE ALL NATURAL PIGMENTS IN THEIR PAINTS . THERE ARE MANY AREAS WITH SOIL OF MANY COLORS ON THE ISLANDS AS WELL AS AROUND DARWIN. THE TIWI HAD A REPUTATION AS VERY FIERCE WARIORS.

Last edited by VANDOO; 14th December 2010 at 05:11 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 05:58 AM   #3
kino

Thanks Vandoo .
I'm suspecting that this spear is ceremonial and not made for hunting or fighting, am I correct on this assumption? Did they use spear throwers for spears of this length?
Old 14th December 2010, 06:40 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

TODAY THEY ARE USED FOR CEREMONIES AND TO PRESENT TO IMPORTANT VISITORS. THEY ALSO MAKE THEM TO SELL TO ETHINOGRAPHIC ART COLLECTORS. MOST PRESENTATION PIECES ARE MADE SHORT (JUST THE FANCY BARBED TIP) THE LONG FULL LEGNTH WOULD EITHER BE FOR CEREMONIES OR IF A GOOD OLD ONE PERHAPS FOR WAR. UNFORTUNATELY I HAVEN'T SEEN MUCH WRITTEN ON IF THEY USED SUCH FANCY SPEARS FOR WAR AND ITS DOUBTFUL THEY WOULD HAVE USED THEM FOR HUNTING UNLESS IT WAS SOME SPECIAL HUNT OR BEAST.?? THERE ARE SOME BOOKS AVAILABLE ON THE TIWI BUT UNFORTUNATELY NOT MUCH DETAIL ON WEAPONS OR WARFARE. I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING SPEAR THROWERS THERE BUT THEY USE THEM ON THE MAINLAND SO IT IS LIKELY THEY USED THEM TOO BUT PERHAPS NOT WITH THE FANCY SPEARS??.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 01:55 PM   #5
colin henshaw

A very fine Tiwi spear from Northern Australia and as already noted, rare being not cut down.

Congratulations.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 04:55 AM   #6
kino

I have seen another Aboriginal spear. This one was unpainted and about 9 feet in length. If used for war, I would guess they would throw them, they would be too flimsy to just to keep the enemy at bay.
The Hawaiian long spear that were 15 feet in length were used to keep their opponents at bay, too long and heavy to be thrown, my guess.