Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th November 2012, 10:59 PM   #1
mrcjgscott

Default Walking Cane/Club

Hello all, recently acquired this carved wooden walking stick/club and wonder if anybody could suggest an origin of the headdress shown?

The seller suggested Siam, but I am not so sure....

Any help gratefully received!!
Attached Images

mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjgscott
Hello all, recently acquired this carved wooden walking stick/club and wonder if anybody could suggest an origin of the headdress shown?

The seller suggested Siam, but I am not so sure....

Any help gratefully received!!
Salaams mrcjgscott] I have no idea, however,
throughout Chinese history, the dragon has been associated with the Emperor of China. The first Chinese emperor, Huang Yi, is said to have been transformed into a dragon at the end of his reign and ascended into Heaven. His brother Yan Di is said to have been born by his mother's telepathic communication with a dragon. This is why the Chinese refer to themselves as "descendants of the dragon" and why the dragon has been symbolic of the Emperor of China throughout Chinese history. In fact, the dragon became the national flag during the Qing dynasty (1644-1912, 1917 AD)!
My ex mother in law is a dragon also.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 12th November 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 11:14 AM   #3
mrcjgscott

/Salaams Ibrahiil al Balooshi,

Many thanks indeed for your response-I had not considered China as a possible point of origin.

I shall spend the afternoon looking at various national headresses!

I am pleased to hear your mother in law is prefixed by an ex, mine is still very much present!!

Kind regards,

Chris
Old 12th November 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY NICELY DONE CARVING. I THINK IT MAY BE THAI DUE TO THE WAY THE SHOULDERS ARE TURNED UP, THE EAR ON THE MASK AND THE FANGS OR TUSKS. THERE IS A MASK WORN IN DANCE THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS ONE AND IT IS ALSO PRESENT ON MANY OF THE LARGE GAURDIAN STATUES FOUND IN THAILAND. IT LOOKS TO HAVE A GOOD PATINA AND MAY COME FROM THE OLDER TIMES WHEN THE COUNTRY WAS CALLED SIAM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 03:01 PM   #5
mrcjgscott

Hello Vandoo,

Many thanks indeed, perhaps it is indeed from the Kingdom of Siam then, that will teach me to rush to judgement!

It is indeed nicely worked, a great "feel" and has a lovely patina. (my pictures probably don't do it justice!)

Chris
Old 14th November 2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A VERY NICELY DONE CARVING. I THINK IT MAY BE THAI DUE TO THE WAY THE SHOULDERS ARE TURNED UP, THE EAR ON THE MASK AND THE FANGS OR TUSKS. THERE IS A MASK WORN IN DANCE THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS ONE AND IT IS ALSO PRESENT ON MANY OF THE LARGE GAURDIAN STATUES FOUND IN THAILAND. IT LOOKS TO HAVE A GOOD PATINA AND MAY COME FROM THE OLDER TIMES WHEN THE COUNTRY WAS CALLED SIAM.

Salaams VANDOO I agree and looking at the facial features it appears to reflect more the Thai than Chinese structure... I note the apparent long hair at the back. I reckon Thai as well...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote