Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th April 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Emanuel

Default Old? Khukuri with kora hilt

Greetings,
I'd like to know what you think about this big khukri http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
It has a nice beefy blade - seller says 65cm long - so the handle is about 8 inches long...huge. Is it an old type of khukury? It has a pommel similar to indian disk pommels, but the "points" of the star/disk look somehwat sloppy, carved into the metal rather than shaped. The "bronze dip" looks melted/corroded off, and the companion knives are weird. Thoughts?

Manolo
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 07:42 PM   #2
spiral

mmmmm I saw that one, kukri in that style exist but this one Looks like a modern reproduction {fake.} handle put on an older blade, & it doesnt look like any modern Nepal real kami work, Ive seen.

Looks rather like the handle could even have electro welded seems & joins perhaps?

Glad to see none of the 5 bidders are in the the usual 20 or so strong kukri crowd.

The fish shaped Chakma {shapening steel/spark striker} is good & a typical style found on real village kukris. {as opposed to old military or the modern main manufacturer commercial kukris which are made for westerners to purchase.}

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 01:06 AM   #3
Emanuel

The welding does give it away...what does genuine Nepali work in this style look like? Do the kora hilts still carry Indian-tulwar-like disks?
Would this modern hilt be an attempt to make the khukri seem older or are such hilts still an option subject to local preference?

Manolo
Old 28th April 2006, 02:46 AM   #4
RobT

Default Married Piece

Hi All,
I agree with Spiral. The blade is old and the hilt is new. The sheath and by-knives are also old. What is especially distressing is that the ferrule is also appropriate to the blade and instead of simply fitting a proper replacement hilt, it would appear that somebody tried to make a "rare" piece of increased value. Judging from the closing price, it would appear that the strategem worked. The fact that they may have ruined a largely intact authentic antique in the process pains me on two counts. One for the piece itself and two for the fact that the seller's success will probably spur similar efforts. A plague on those responsible.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 09:03 AM   #5
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
The welding does give it away...what does genuine Nepali work in this style look like? Do the kora hilts still carry Indian-tulwar-like disks?
Would this modern hilt be an attempt to make the khukri seem older or are such hilts still an option subject to local preference?

Manolo
they are still occasionally making special run kukh's with similar style grips, but workmanship is generally better. Himalayan Imports Version: see Linky

that multipoint star on the grip would have failed me in shop class, the overcuts are really poor.

original talwar hilted kukhri, note v-notch in scabbard to fit hilt, something to look for in originals: Linky from BladeForums Kukhri subforum
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Ferguson

I agree with everyone that the hilt was changed at some time after the khukuri was originally made. I also agree that the workmanship of the hilt is less than the original. The only thing I don't see, is any evidence of electric welding, either arc, mig, or tig. I suspect it was done by a metalworker in India, Nepal, or a similar area. The cylindrical part of the hilt does seem to be a piece of manufactured tubing of some sort. I can't tell if the seam is brazed or not welded at all, but it doesn't look electric welded.

It's a shame.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 07:28 PM   #7
Emanuel

Many thanks for the explanations and links. The bolster as seen on the 7th picture seemes to show welding, and the tube handle showes signs as well. It really is sad that the hilt makers abused the knife so terribly. I like the blade on this one, in its original state it might have been aven more of a beauty.
How "comfortable" were the genuine kora hilts? It seems to me that the bottom disk would dig into the wrist no?
Regards,
Manolo