Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st November 2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Andy Stevens

Default Brass statue of mounted warrior-Indian?

I know this forum is mainly for the study of ethnic weapons, but this interesting little fellow belongs to a friend of mine, who picked it up in Kashmir, and is very keen to know what she has (very cheaply) purchased. I'm hoping the style of armour on the horse, the head dress or the triangular axe head might gives clues as to its origin. It appears old, there are traces of soil in some areas,as if the figure was once buried? I fully reaslise that it could have been cast last year, but its a great fun object and has raised my curiosity. Many thanks
Attached Images

Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 09:52 AM   #2
olikara

Thumbs up Tribal Handicraft

Andy,
It is a nice piece that your friend picked up. It is art work done by the Tribals of the Bastar and Orissa regions of India.

The Lost Wax method of making sculpture is still practised in those areas of India. The trappings on the horse are very typical of that area and that is the give away.

However, I am not qualified enough to tell you what period the figure is from. But 9 chances out of 10 are that it is recently made. In India the tourist trade is diverse as in perhaps all other countries. So we find items from Bastar or Bengal being sold to tourists in Kashmir and Kashmiri carpets being sold to tourists visiting Madras which is 3000 kms. away.

A nice piece nonetheless.
olikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Andy Stevens

Olikara, I thank you very much! I have looked in several books without any succsess, the wisdom on this forum never ceases to amaze. I wonder, is the figure a representation of a warrior, or deity? The horse furniture is like nothing I've seen before, what period of Indian history does it represent, or is more decorative than an factual? Thanks
Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote