Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2024, 06:28 PM   #1
Edster

Very nice sword and trophy. To put it in context, the battle was fought against Osman Digna and his Hadendawa warriors. (See Wiki attached). The gap at the top of the silver grip cover originally likely had the signature Hadendawa tassel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...l%20population.

Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 01:09 PM   #2
jaxonrice

Thank you so much Ed. Would you be able to hazard a guess as to the age and origin of the blade?
jaxonrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 01:49 PM   #3
Edster

During the early-mid 19th C. thousands of mostly German blades were imported into Egypt and rest of N. Africa. Traders brought them into Sudan. I documented some of the traffic into Sudan in one of my kaskara papers available on the Forum's Geographical Index.

Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 02:24 PM   #4
Marc M.

Indeed a very nice kaskara.
Regards
Marc
Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 04:42 PM   #5
jaxonrice

Thank you Ed. I have, of course, read all of your excellent Kaskara papers here
jaxonrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2024, 08:07 PM   #6
G. Mansfield

Hello Jaxon,

I do not have any new information on the enigmatic mark but I wanted to congratulate you on this exceptional kaskara sword. Attached are two other war trophies picked up by Francis Marwood Hext from the same battle. Estimates of between 2,000 and 4,000 Mahdists were killed or wounded, most of which were Hadendowa tribesmen.

https://www.the-mansfield-collection...-beja-hext-413
https://www.the-mansfield-collection...agger-hext-412

-Geoffrey
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 11:06 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think the discussion from 2022 that Ed has linked in his post #2 has the most comprehensive answer to this question. What is interesting is this 'enigma' marking has remained a conundrum despite the number of compelling theories.

Briggs has noted these stylized marks on the swords of two Taureg chiefs in Air which were taken during the Kaocen Rebellion 1917. While these tribes (I think Tiouinfera was one) seem to have been of the Maliki School of Sunni Islam, which was why I had earlier thought perhaps the stylized devices might be related to symbols in that context.

Im not familiar with the 18th c kaskara of the Funj sultan and this type of hilt so am curious to see images of it and the star and comet. Could you direct to a source for images? It would be great to see 18th century examples of this type of kaskara hilt.

The 'enigma' mark on the blade seems to have been seen as early as 1878 with Adembar sword from Air (I believe this was from J.Gabus, 1958, as per Briggs, 1965). How it became known on kaskara in Darfur and Sudan from what may be Tuareg origins in that light is a question, or was it vice versa, from Sudan to Air?
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote