Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th September 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Samik

Default Headsman's sword from Levoča - possible conversion?

Greetings gentlemen !

A friend of mine asked me about this particular piece from Levoča (Slovakia). According to the local museum staff the sword is an executioner's weapon. My acquaintance handled the sword himself (he does a bit of hema) and remarked that for an executioner's weapon its relatively swift and has somewhat conspicuously long cross-guard and handle. He proposed that it might have even originally been a training weapon for fencing - perhaps later converted for a headsman's sword... He would greatly appreciate your knowledgeable insight

What do you think?

Pictures:

http://imageshack.us/f/690/levocasword1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/f/16/levocasword2.jpg/

Cheers and best wishes,
Samuel
Samik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Samuel,

You are definitely right, this is an executioner's sword of ca. 1680 although the hilt conveys quite an early impression.
I guess the leather was meant to be a blood guard for the executioner's hands.

I reworked the photos and post them here.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Dmitry

This is a bearing sword for religious and court processions. The leather flap is quite typical of these swords. A sword like this was carried point up, the leather flap would cover the bearer's hand/hands, and examples are sometimes seen with studded or embroidered decorations. See if there is anything on the other side of the flaps. I can't be sure, but it appears that this example had the decorations removed some time in the past. You can see the holes in leather, where some type of decoration was affixed.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Zwielicht

As far as I can see, I would agree with Michael. I've never heard of cutting the blade tip on ceremonial swords (ahh, forgot the exact term, meaning literally "sword which is to be held"), but that was common practice for an executional swords.

Also, I've seen several swords meant for military use with similar thing on a guard (which is actually meant to prevent the occasional water from going inside the scabbard, for example, during the rain), but on all of them it was considerably smaller and made as aт original part of guard, not as a crude later addition which would be quite reasonable in case of an executioner's tool, fashioned from an old sword.
Zwielicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These two hand swords are often referred to as executioners swords, however in most cases they were indeed bearing or processional swords borne before the ruling magistrates of principalities. It seems these are mostly of German make, though they are if course known through much of Europe. In my experience they are often termed the 'sword of justice' and as such characteristically often are inscribed with macabre symbols of death or execution such as gallows, "breaking)wheel, and devotional phrases for the soul of those about to be punished.
In the words of Peter Finer in 2003, "...they were not, as popularly thought, used for execution, but were carried upright before a lord or a prince as a symbol of his power as a lawgiver".
Along with the motif on most blades, the tips were seemingly always rebated or squared, and many have three pierced holes at the tip, signifying calvary and the atonement for sins as I have understood in research.

While typically these were in effect ceremonial, they were quite functional and certainly used in many recorded cases. It is known that the covert organizations of 'Free Judges' in Vehmic courts in Westphalian regions in Germany had such swords, and again these were primarily symbols of power showing authority to those called to the courts.

Regarding the leather cover, the 'rain guards' often secured as flaps over the crossguard center in many arming swords and rapiers of medieval times were quite small relative to this element. I am inclined to agree that this large leather boot or flap is likely to be an embellishment to display a cypher or element of regalia pertaining to the figure being represented by the sword, and more visible as the sword is being held upright (as typical presentation posture for a sword).

The grim business of execution by the sword when actually practiced was quite contrary to the depictions in movies and popular literature, and often more of a travesty than the suggested merciful quick business in those tales.

It is interesting that this sword does not seem to have the typically presumed symbols, passages on the blade, but does well suit the image of a bearing, or processional sword. As noted, whether it may have served for its suggested purpose is its own secret, but it is possible.

There were a number of interesting discussions on these over the years.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Samik

Thank you very much for your brilliant insight gentlemen! Is there any literature and/or iconography you could recommend to my colleague on the (somewhat obscure though nevertheless fascinating) subject ?

Much obliged,
Samuel
Samik is offline   Reply With Quote