Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th November 2009, 09:53 PM   #1
KuKulzA28

Default Rattan Care...?

How do you guys care for the rattan wrapping on handles?
Would linseed oil be fine? Rattan wrapping isn't really like wood...

Thanks!
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Nathaniel

Good question...this is something I would like to know as well for my dha handles...otherwise with time they dry out and become brittle.

At home we have an beautiful old Malaysian rattan basket...my uncle said soaking it in warm water would help to prevent it from cracking/ drying out...havn't worked the nerve up to do that yet though.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

They way people in southern Thailand do is soaking them in drying oil (linseed, tung) then wipe them off and let them dry. This is enough to keep bamboo/rattan work for 10-20 years. After the oil dried, you may also wax them to give an extra protection.
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 03:59 PM   #4
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF
They way people in southern Thailand do is soaking them in drying oil (linseed, tung) then wipe them off and let them dry. This is enough to keep bamboo/rattan work for 10-20 years. After the oil dried, you may also wax them to give an extra protection.
But there the problem i the rattan getting too moist... where I am the concern is that it'll dry out, crack, and fall apart...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Dimasalang

I also use linseed on strips of rattan but not a lot. Rattan soaks up oil easier and faster then wood. Soaking a rattan stick for long periods of time will make the stick last longer but will make it a lot heavier...on top of that, take a long time to dry, will always leak at the ends, always feel oily, and can make the stick too soft. Id suggest using linseed liberally on the strips...rub it in, let it soak just a bit(you can see it soak in), then wipe it off.

I met some Kendo practitioners who use linseed on their Shinai swords(made of bamboo). They don't soak it too long as it will get to heavy the longer it soaks and can offset the balance of the bamboo sword.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote