Default MOP pommel kris

Our own Naga Basuki got this puppy - at this price what are your thoughts?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-Moro-Kris-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 11:13 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool Leaving The Stock Market In The Dust

I like the pace at which my high quality kris collection is appreciating .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Always hard to judge value ...

Hi battara:

If the general view of MOP on hilts is true, i.e. MOP is a decoration dating mostly to the second half of the 20th C., then the hilt may not be very old, although I think the blade is probably older than that.

The price seems more related to the inscription on this kris than the nice MOP-covered kakatua. If this kris was indeed a gift from a prominent datu (a buf "if' IMO), then the price may be appropriate. I hope Naga B. got a great deal.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Bill M

Will let y'all know more when I get it. Accidently got in a last minute snipe bump with my good friends Dave and Lonna. They have one of the finest collections of Moro, mandau and Nias swords I have ever seen!

I am hoping the inscriptions prove out, but it was my wife that fell in love with this. I also know the seller and he is a really good guy. He bought this 20 years ago.

Getting more interested in quality Moro kris. Email me if you have some that you would like to sell.

You may see another post here of an older one of mine that Dave thinks may be 17th c.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 07:22 PM   #5
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
but it was my wife that fell in love with this.
Bill,
On the kris, nice grab. Well worth the price. I was thinking about it but my wife would have killed me. She wants an entertainment center.

On your wife, please tell me what you are feeding her so I can get some
for my wife!!! She just looks at most of my stuff and says "It's just a
piece of steel" Women. You have a gem there, both the kris and the wife!
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 01:00 AM   #6
kino

Bill,Here is a Kris of mine that is somewhat similar to yours. I posted it once before. It has MOP scales over ivory. While your inscriptions read "Datu Mupar", my blade has "Datu Mudor", same person perhaps??? The dimensions is somewhat on the small side. Although I'm not very sure, I believe my blade is of one piece construction. It is well made, not touristy at all.

I too have witnessed Dave and Lonna's amazing collection of edged weapons. I think it's the best out there. If any of you ever get a chance to see it, you won't be disappointed.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 01:31 AM   #7
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
Bill,Here is a Kris of mine that is somewhat similar to yours. I posted it once before. It has MOP scales over ivory. While your inscriptions read "Datu Mupar", my blade has "Datu Mudor", same person perhaps??? The dimensions is somewhat on the small side. Although I'm not very sure, I believe my blade is of one piece construction. It is well made, not touristy at all.

I too have witnessed Dave and Lonna's amazing collection of edged weapons. I think it's the best out there. If any of you ever get a chance to see it, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks Kino,

I hope that mine will be of good quality also. Will post some pictures when I get it.

Dave and Lonna have probably the finest collection of Nias Balatto (Lonna calls them "powerball" swords) in one place I have ever seen. Also a stellar collection of Mandau and Moro. They even have the Moro swords on the COVER of Cato's book!

AND a patterned blade kaskara that must have been made for a king.

BUT they just will not sell their really high end swords. And I don't blame them!
Old 12th July 2006, 12:55 PM   #8
mross

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Thanks Kino,

Dave and Lonna have probably the finest collection of Nias Balatto (Lonna calls them "powerball" swords) in one place I have ever seen. Also a stellar collection of Mandau and Moro. They even have the Moro swords on the COVER of Cato's book!
Ok, I have to ask so please excuse my ignorance. Who are Dave and Lonna?
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 01:30 PM   #9
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
Ok, I have to ask so please excuse my ignorance. Who are Dave and Lonna?
Dave and Lonna are very big in the ethnographic weapons arena. Particularly with the Nias, Moro, and Dayak.

They have been collecting 30 years or more.

A delightful couple, warm, caring and sharing. Anne and I spent an afternoon with them last year. Our dog, Chumley decided to make a Moro shield they had, all his. They were very gracious about cleaning it off. Dave really fell in love with Chumley, the black, white and tan spaniel.

They know EVERY high end collector and dealer in the world -- well maybe not in the world, but if a high end ethnographic collector or dealer has been around a few years, they willl know each other.

They live near San Fancisco. They travel to local knife and gun shows and set up incredible displays of edged weapons. Museum quality.

Their knowledge of these weapons is encyclopedic.

They sell good, quality pieces, in the $500 to $1,000 range.

They do not have a website, nor catalog, nor gallery. nor studio. I don't think that they travel anywhere outside driving range of San Farncisco. It woud be difficult to carry the load on an ariplane!

You will only be able to see their pieces by going to a gun or knife show. But Anne and I have considered making a trip to California just to see them at a gun show. They are that good.

Some day we hope to have a digital camera in their hands.

I do not have their permission to release their email address, but will ask them how people may contact them.

I hope to see some posts from them on this Forum. You hear that Lonna? Toodles from Bill, Anne and the doggies.
Attached Images

Old 13th July 2006, 12:55 AM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Bill post your new puppy when you get it - I think it is nice.

Kino - are those parts gold or gold overlay on your wonderful kris?
Old 13th July 2006, 11:52 PM   #11
kino

Battara, A jewelrer told me it was plated. Is it the same as overlay?
Old 14th July 2006, 12:24 AM   #12
CharlesS

I saw this one too, and let it go...but would not have paid that price.

I agree with Ian completely. This is a nice older kriss blade that has been re-hilted mid 20th Cent. or later in my opinion. Nothing unusual about that at all, but that does shock me a little regarding the final price.

We all have different likes and dislikes regarding various elements of the field/hobby we all love. Value has to be relative for each of us since "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I have come to realize over the last four years, for instance, that some of the dhas I like most are not nearly as old as had orginally been thought(thanks for rocking my world Mark, Ian and Andrew!! )

This piece certainly has its merits as ethnographic art.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 12:28 AM   #13
CharlesS

...btw, Dave and Lonna are "the deal"....great folks. And the seller of the piece is one of the best edged weapons dealers on Ebay in terms of honesty and helpfulness, again IMO.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 01:07 AM   #14
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
...btw, Dave and Lonna are "the deal"....great folks. And the seller of the piece is one of the best edged weapons dealers on Ebay in terms of honesty and helpfulness, again IMO.

Hi Charles,

Maybe we saw something there that others missed? It has happened before.

Old 15th July 2006, 08:03 PM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
Battara, A jewelrer told me it was plated. Is it the same as overlay?
Actually not. Modern gold plating is a very thin microscopic veneer of gold layer. I consider overlay an actual sheet of gold (obviously much thicker) that is placed on top. You may want to ask the jeweler to clarify what he/she means by "plating". A good question.
Old 29th July 2006, 05:24 PM   #16
kino

Default just a fraction of

I have been given permission by Lonna, Dave's boss (sorry Dave but I have
to tell it like it is ), to post a couple of photos of their marvelous display. Sorry folks none of these items are for sale, believe me I tried many times. I get the same answer "maybe in the near future but not now".
This is only a small portion of their display. Somehow I misplaced the other photos. This will give you an idea of what they have. They have great knowledge on ethnographic arms and armor. If you have any questions or just to discuss what you have feel free to contact them at mycuriousthings@aol.com.
Attached Images

Old 29th July 2006, 05:49 PM   #17
Bill M

a few more from Dave and Lonna
Attached Images

Old 29th July 2006, 05:51 PM   #18
Battara
EAAF Staff

W W!

Crap....drooled on the keyboard again.

Thank you and them for sharing the pictures (envy, envy, grumble, grumble...)
Old 29th July 2006, 08:09 PM   #19
ariel

Even the two with the "Persian" handles are Moro? Any chance to see the entire swords?
Especially the last one, with the T-spine.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 08:42 PM   #20
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Even the two with the "Persian" handles are Moro? Any chance to see the entire swords?

Especially the last one, with the T-spine.
Dave and Lonna collect from many different areas besides Moro. I don't remember much about the individual pieces as I was overwhelmed by the beauty and power of their collection.

It is one chill after another to handle pieces of this quality!

This was not a formal picture shoot. They were just handing me pieces and I was taking pictures. The grey background you see was the hood of their van. The blue background was a towel. I will look through my pictures and see where the "T" Spine is and see if there is an overall of it.