Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th April 2013, 12:55 AM   #1
tolemac

Default && HELP && PHOTOS ADDED UNKNOWN DAGGER W/ UNUSUAL MARKINGS W/ ANTLER HANDLE ANTIQUITY

Hello all~ I recently acquired a unique I guess would be called a dagger. I was told by AN expert Heres what he said..

I can tell you with complete confidence that I do not know what it is, or where it is from. Nor do I recognize the decorations, which appear to have been chased (engraved with a tool that is struck).

I can also tell you that the deterioration due to age and possible burial appears to be authentic, unlike the chemically induced aging I see almost every day on fakes.

The handle appears to be a stag crown (base of an antler), but I can't tell you what species of cervid (deer family) it is from.

So, now im here to see if there is anyone else that can help me find out more@@ if you have any thoughts please let me know. Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by tolemac; 29th April 2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Ad Photos
tolemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Tolemac, and welcome to the forum. Please post pictures of the item that you are asking for identification help with. If you are uncertain of how to do this there is a sticky at the top of the main page that will explain how it is done. Looking forward to seeing what you have.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 05:49 PM   #3
tolemac

Default Opps

Sorry, i thought i did... but my photos were too large. It has been fixed.. Thank you
Old 30th April 2013, 03:58 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
THE HANDLE APPEARS TO BE HORN WHICH HAS BEEN CHEWED UP BY BEETLE LARVA. THE BLADE AND DESIGNS ON IT MAKE ME THINK NORTH AFRICA IS A LIKELY ORIGIN. PERHAPS SOMEONE WITH MORE KNOWLEGE IN THE AREA CAN PIN IT DOWN FOR YOU.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 08:25 AM   #5
kai

Hello, welcome to the forum!

I'm with Barry here. The struck motifs look a bit hurried and I would be surprised if this piece were older than 20th century despite the relic condition of the hilt. I'm sure others will chime in soon!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 09:28 PM   #6
tolemac

Default Thanks

Hi, thanks guys for your thoughts. Its been a real puzzle but exciting to see what others think. So, you agree its from the 20th century? I thought i was much older. But, like i say i have no idea. Keep the thoughts coming. I wish i had more info. Africa? i would never had guess that. Thanks again!!!