Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd December 2006, 12:07 AM   #1
Albert

Post Book review: "The Cutting Edge"

Review of the newly published book "The Cutting Edge".
(Review by Albert van Zonneveld)

Title: The Cutting Edge. West Central African 19th century throwing knives in the National Museum of Ethnology Leiden
Authors: A.M. Schmidt & P. Westerdijk
Publishers: National Museum of Ethnology & C. Zwartenkot Art Books. Leiden 2006
ISBN-10: 90-5450-007-7
ISBN-13: 978-90-5450-007-0
Format: 29 x 22,5 cm
Clothbound in dust jacket
Pages: 112
Illustrations: 83 colour plates of throwing knives; 12 b/w field photographs dating from the 19th century, map
Language: English
Price: € 30,00

The Cutting Edge is an exhibition catalogue capturing one of the older collections of throwing knives from West Central Africa (Congo). Kept at the National Museum of Ethnology (NME) in Leiden, the Netherlands, a selection hereof is on display here until July 15, 2007. This catalogue presents us with a means to understand this collection that is particularly interesting because of its history, age (the majority of these knives were acquired at the end of the 19th century) and diversity.

The book consists of three main sections:
- a history of the collection;
- a description of African throwing knives;
- a catalogue of the throwing knives on display.
In addition, an extensive bibliography and a map of the region from which the knives originate are included.

The history of this collection is described by way of a 16-page text illuminated with several photographs of the main collectors. The majority of the 121 throwing knives were acquired through employees of the (Nieuwe) Africaansche Handelsvereeniging, (N)AHV, active in the Congo between 1857 and 1903. Firstly, trade contacts during this period are dealt with. The collectors, their motives and methods are then discussed. In spite of the fact that these knives were collected more than a century ago, it was possible to retrieve precisely their origin and acquisition history.

The 15-page description of the throwing knives includes field photographs depicting warriors with such knives and shields. A drawing of the various throwing techniques is included. Most African weapons such as daggers, knives, spears, arrows, swords etc. were/had been, albeit in a somewhat other shape, familiar in Europe, too. The Westerner could thus well recognize them. However, throwing knives were an exception. They had no equivalents in Europe. Due to this, and to their beautiful opulence of shape, they still greatly appeal to collectors. This chapter contains a definition of the 'throwing knife' phenomenon. Next, the appearance is described, the way it is made, its use and effect. Finally, alternative applications (striking weapon, symbol of wealth, status and power, or ritual object) are explained.

The largest section of the book is the 65-page catalogue which includes stunning full-page photographs of throwing knives, as well as the front and rear of two plaited shields. Incidently, this collection does not exclusively consist of throwing knives. Those of a transitional type resembling a sabre, and not meant to throw, are included. In addition, several hand weapons intended for ceremonial use are represented. To each object, a description is added. It goes with, for instance, the NME inventory number, year of acquisition, applied materials, dimensions, the people or the culture from which the weapon originates an indication of the type and supplementary data. The photographs are of an excellent quality, showing great detail.

The extensive bibliography contains no less than eighty titles of books and articles. It is, therefore, a valuable source for further information and study.
Moreover, a sketch-map is included showing the region in Africa from which the throwing knives hail, indicating the residential areas of the various peoples.

In summary, it is an excellent publication: informative, with numerous outstanding photographs, beautifully laid out and beaming luxuriousness. It is thereby not only an indispensable reference work for collectors of African weapons, but also an essential book for the remaining weapon collectors and lovers of ethnographic art. Highly recommended !

Albert van Zonneveld

Futher information:
http://www.ethnographicartbooks.com/...=7578941.20211
The book can be found under # 53

Last edited by Albert; 23rd December 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Bill M

Thanks for the review. Will order a copy.

Just for my cusiosity, is your last name "van Zonneveld?"
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Dajak

I think this belong in the swapforum

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Albert

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Thanks for the review. Will order a copy.

Just for my cusiosity, is your last name "van Zonneveld?"
Yes, that is correct.
When I read my own text, I saw it is not quite clear. The review is from my hand but I am not the author of "The Cutting Edge".

Albert van Zonneveld
Old 23rd December 2006, 10:13 PM   #5
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Yes, that is correct.
When I read my own text, I saw it is not quite clear. The review is from my hand but I am not the author of "The Cutting Edge".

Albert van Zonneveld

Thank you for the review, Albert.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 10:29 PM   #6
RhysMichael

A very good review, I'll have to put this on my wish list. Thanks
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 11:34 PM   #7
Luc LEFEBVRE

Red face

Yes good book, I've got it 2 weeks ago.

- - -
1) nothing really new (5 sort of TK, I'd never see).
2) a lot of photos are not really good, too much clear, not enough contrast (compare with "De Fer et de Fierté")
3) the text is a summary of the Peter Westerdijk thesis "The African Throwing knife".

+++
1) lot of TK from old collections: end of 19th, beginning of 20th.
2) most of the TK are in good condition.
3) 3 good pics "in situ" from the Tervuren museum, I'd never see.

My conclusion:
This kind of publication is rare, good idea to make a specific catalogue for this exhibition.Need more work to be original, and give a new approach of the African TK .
Buy it if you are interested in African weapons.

luc
Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 11:38 PM   #8
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Yes, that is correct.

Albert van Zonneveld
It is a pleasure and a privilege to have you here.
Hope you drop by more often.
Happy New Year!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 11:52 PM   #9
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
It is a pleasure and a privilege to have you here.
Hope you drop by more often.
Happy New Year!

Albert,

I echo Ariel's sentiments (as usual). Also hope that you drop by more often. I have your book!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Bill Marsh
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Albert

Smile

Thank you for your kind words.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for all forum members!

Albert
Old 14th January 2007, 06:02 PM   #11
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile

Although it does not add much to Albert's excellent review above, I have prepared my own review of The Cutting Edge as a component in the first stage of building an expanded ethnographic arms bibliography for the EEWRS.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote