Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2014, 02:41 AM   #1
archer

Default Silver Pinned Khanjar

What can be said for this relic. It's tightly silver pinned missing a lot of silver but, I'm not quite sure how much decorative metal is gone. The tight pinning encouraged Me to think it was a horn hilt, so far it doesn't show light thru at any point. I"m not sure if it'sall patina or if there is some sort of applied finish. What is it called and estimate of age. If it is worthwhile I'd like to replace missing decorative parts. Looking forward to your thoughts,
Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 04:16 AM   #2
DaveS

Looks like a rhino horn handle, with badly tarnished silver overlay. Maybe dates from the 30s to 40s............Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 08:03 AM   #3
spiral

A Jambiya with a possibly rhino horn hilt & a solid steel blade. A metal strip is missing round the bottom of the hilt.

I am sure someone can tell you the name of the area is comes from.

Possibly Oman or Muscat?

Spiral

Last edited by spiral; 25th February 2014 at 10:48 AM.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 08:24 AM   #4
A.alnakkas

A nice old piece. The hilt is wood even though the fiberous structure seems like rhino but on closer inspection it seems more like wood than rhino. You have it in hand though.

There could be a metal area and sometimes there isnt (deliberately removed during a not so professional hilt restoration. This could be the case.)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 02:41 PM   #5
archer

Default Hilt

Spot on Lotfy, it has the appearance of horn especially with all the close pinning, but it just doesn't allow any light thru. What kind of wood is this?
It has a couple of contrasts in texture and color I see from time to time at the pommel and near the blade. I was hoping it would be horn,but that's life.
Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 02:50 PM   #6
A.alnakkas

its a lovely piece regardless whether it is wood or horn. The wood appears of excellent quality and I remember an Omani friend mentioned a type of local wood that had excellent endurance... I dont remember its name but will ask him and perhaps even show him these pictures.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote