Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th March 2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Emanuel

Default Some musings about a tulwar and its usage.

I recently got a tulwar, and I've been playing around with it, trying to find out how it may be used. the handle fits my hand perfectly and snuggly, but the lower disk digs into my wrist unless I keep it in line with my arm. This brings me to my musings...it's practically impossible (for me) to do any wrist work besides proantion and supination.

So how then, is one supposed to strike with the tulwar and recover for subsequent strikes? I found that the arm must keep moving in the direction of the cut, until momentum is dissipated. Instead of bending the wrist, the whole arm must complete the motion, and the body must move with it. When keeping this in mind, some of the sweeping and twirling gatka moves start making sense (to me). If you can't stop the motion of the swords in mid-arc, go with it and bring it around with a twirl of twist of the body. You can still do quite a lot of fancy footwork and moves.

Anyway, these were my musings on the subject, since we often wondered about the tulwar.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 03:27 PM   #2
katana

Hi Emanuel,
this question raises its head regularly....

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=gatka

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=gatka

There seems to be 'two camps' .....those that agree about the techniques of Tulwar use ......and those that do not.
Personally I totally agree that the Tulwar 'became' an 'extension' of the arm /torso and sweeping cuts would be the norm. Wrist control is almost impossible so delicate movements would, similarly, be almost impossible.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote