Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2006, 08:34 PM   #1
The Double D

Default Tsonga club

Spring in African Arms and Armour describes a Tsonga Club as follows:

Quote:
Tsonga clubs with a spherical head are similiar to certain Zulu weapons, but a variety with an elongated, oval head and striated patterning was said by Junod to have been made in Bilen town and was particularly popular in Gaza province.

This club seems to fit that description. Does any one have any other ideas.
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

What a lovely, nice old club. I think there is a problem when looking at the clubs from southern and central/east Africa. Many are clearly "southern" and "knobkerries". The form is a mature design and as so must appear anywhere in the sphere of use, a vast part of the whole African Continent. When the form is less distinct in its design, trying to put your finger on a place or one group of people is really just guess work. Patterns do emerge, types of wood, colour and so on. These are one of the most attractive parts to me when looking at African clubs. Saying all that I would agree that this super example is from South Africa.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

I agree with Tim your club is a nice old example and the patina is outstanding.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 06:18 AM   #4
The Double D

A confession about the knobkerrie, it's not mine.

I was visiting a fellow who was supposed to have an iklwe. He took me to his garage and there stood a pile of spears, 20 or 30, most Iklwa's. Laying on top were three knobkerries. I handed the Knobkerries to my wife to hold and my friend and I started going through the spears. My friend single out several spears that intersted him and I found a "matched pair" I liked. We started putting threst of the spears back in the pile. when all the one we didn't want were back in the stack I reached to my wife for the knobkerrie's and she handed me two. I asked her about the third one and she said that was her's.

An that is how my wife got a Tsonga knobkerrie. I go back to pick-up my two iklwa's this afternoon.

As I sit here typing this I heard my wife say something, when I turned and in the typical loving husband style responded "huh?'' She said "get the other two knobkerries when you pick up your spears."

The correct answer "Yes dear!"
Old 12th July 2006, 12:28 PM   #5
katana

Hi DD,
nice Knobkerrie.

Now lets get this straight......your wife if forcing you to buy African weapons, for her............um......don't have any arguments ...you just might find out how painful a blow from one of these things really is
( actually.... 'the yes dear'..... is an excellent survival strategy....that or wear a crash helmet )
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 04:16 PM   #6
The Double D

Here are the rest of the Wife's acquisitions. The seller told me that he acquires them from people in Zululand. He works them over with 0000 steel wool and the wipes them with shoe wax. I told him next time he get some in to call me before he cleans them.

The bottom one is a very typical of what is represented here as Zulu.
Does any one have any opinions on the top one.
Old 13th July 2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

You must tell your friend he is a bad man. The top one looks more like a staff and has some age inspite of your friends attention. I have used the finest of steel wool with wax but I might add very gently and knowing when to stop.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 06:34 PM   #8
The Double D

I also believe the long one is a walking stick or a staff. I believe I have seen pictures of these used or carried by Zulu leaders.

This stick and the Tsonga Club don't appear to have been refinished, but the Zulu knobkerrie definitely has. Doesn't matter, it is the Wife's. She likes it as it is and has advised me to leave it alone...."Yes Dear!"