Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th June 2006, 03:06 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default Antique ottoman... ehm... something

I think ottoman mid 19th century, maybe older. Nice piece, a somekinf of dish maybe?

Hope that someone give a clue what that is and what it was used for.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 03:22 PM   #2
ariel

Just like our Moro gang calls everything they cannot define, Sundang, I shall call this Kilij
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Emanuel

It looks like it has a cap, is it some sort of container? The top part looks like a shield/buckler.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 05:37 PM   #4
S.Al-Anizi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
It looks like it has a cap, is it some sort of container? The top part looks like a shield/buckler.
I agree, it does look like something thats lifted upwards using that ring on the top.
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 02:04 PM   #5
erlikhan

It can be called "sahan" which is used to bring hot meals to table,and then to serve it.Ring is to lift the cover but it can be buckler or not??I vote "not"
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Valjhun

Well, I can't find any way to open the thing... no it is not a buckler.
Old 6th June 2006, 03:21 PM   #7
Emanuel

On the second picture the cap looks slightly open/pulled up. Perhaps it's glued in place?
The design on the top, as seen on the first picture, looks like a buckler. The thing itself is obviously not a buckler.

erlikhan, the cover/cap looks really small, I imagine only small things were cariied in this sahan? Or does a larger part of it open?
Old 6th June 2006, 03:38 PM   #8
erlikhan

manolo,I understood what you mean after I rechecked the pictures . Perhaps the joint of the top part (which is specualted as if a buckler) is somehow broken,seperated from the rest of the cover? Otherwise it would not have a pratical use of any kind at all.
Old 6th June 2006, 05:01 PM   #9
Valjhun

That cap seems to be spring mounted. It goes up and down. logically, by twistening it, it should open the thing, but I cannot say. The two halfspheres are rivetted toghether and they are not coming apart, so I would exclude the food container option. The opening would be too small.

As a matter of fact, it could be manufactured from a buckler.

My guess is that it is a liquid incense burner or boiler of some kind. Did the ottomas use liquid incenses?
Old 7th June 2006, 04:37 AM   #10
Zifir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valjhun
That cap seems to be spring mounted. It goes up and down. logically, by twistening it, it should open the thing, but I cannot say. The two halfspheres are rivetted toghether and they are not coming apart, so I would exclude the food container option. The opening would be too small.

As a matter of fact, it could be manufactured from a buckler.

My guess is that it is a liquid incense burner or boiler of some kind. Did the ottomas use liquid incenses?
Yes, especially religious orders (tariqats) used incense burners in their ceremonies. In fact, they still do. It could also be for private use. My guess would be the same, it looks like an incense burner to me, but who knows.
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 05:07 PM   #11
erlikhan

Perhaps all the upper half was once the cover which was lifted by the ring and edge was fixed to the bottom part later?? If it was a burner, then it should have something to pick and carry it,most practically two facing each other in the middle edge,not? The small ring on the top would be very weak and uncomfortable to carry an oil filled burner, and as it would be expected to get hot while burning or even wet with oil, one would not wish to hold it by hand directly on the main body.In fact even if it was a sahan,it should have something to carry it comfortably but it doesnt..
Old 7th June 2006, 05:41 PM   #12
Emanuel

I was starting to think that maybe this was hanged from the ceiling -hence the ring- but the decorations are restricted to the top part and it would therefore have to be visible from the top. So then it sits on something. The tight spring cap means the "container" would be fairly hermetic no? If it were an oil lamp, couldn't it be simply carried in-hand, held from the bottom? I have an oil lamp, and the burning apparatus gets hot, but the underside of the vessel itself does not.
It's no good for pouring liquids, it's no good for storing/serving foodstuffs, short of it being a gong or musical instrument I can't see what it can be besides an incense/oil burner.

Regards,
Emanuel
Old 7th June 2006, 09:25 PM   #13
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Are the top and bottom halves made from different metals ?
It looks to me like the bottom is made from copper .
If this is the case then this item was probably meant to be heated .
Also there is what looks like a key cut out on the opening ; have you tried turning the top itself or the ring to see if there is a tab that would line up with the keyhole ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 09:45 PM   #14
Tim Simmons

I think this is a bed warmer, using hot water like a hot water bottle, where as European bed warmers used coals and all that servant stuff, a hot pan on a stick. You can find stoneware hot water bottles but I do not think this area has a history of stoneware ceramics, some very fine earthenware mind, I might be horribly wrong.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 05:30 AM   #15
Titus Pullo

Gorgeous!
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 06:03 AM   #16
not2sharp

OK, it's a 18th century movie prop for an Indian verison of a Martain UFO.

Just hang it by a string and play this theme music:

http://pages.prodigy.net/ehammer/ufoscare.mid

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 06:05 AM   #17
ham

Gentlemen,

Erlikhan is quite literally half right-- tabiki sahandir-- it is a food cover. The rest is cobbled up. Look at the difference in color between top and bottom. The applied brass edge was never intended to open. It is a bazaar curio, the production of which was prompted by a tourist demand for 'authentic' items... even when they had no idea what they were.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 10:53 AM   #18
Rather

I also think that is is a hot water bottle to warm up the bed. Here is a old German version, made of copper, as a reference. It also has a ring to carry the bottle, when it's hot.
Attached Images

Rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 07:30 PM   #19
Tim Simmons

Far out!!
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 09:55 PM   #20
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

How much of an openning vent do you get when you pull up that springed cap ... any at all ? as if this would define whether it is for pouring in (whatever) or breathing out (whatever) ... or both.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 10:10 PM   #21
Mark

Question

Some questions:

1) Is the cylinder in the background part of it? It looks like a stand for something. In any event, the object looks like it was made to sit on/in something that hid the lower part.

2) Is it even water (or oil) tight? That would be a good clue about whether it is a hot water bottle of some sort.

3) Ham sounds pretty sure it is a tabiki sahandir, or a modified one at any rate, and Rick suggested that the top and bottom could have been stuck together later. Is this the answer?

4) I'm still not clear what the "springed mounted" cap is. Can you pull it up far enough to get a look inside, or is how it looks in the photo as far out as it goes? If it is, the fact that it comes out crookedly like that could well be because of a tab that could be turned ro line up with the slot in the body & permit the whole cap to come out, as again Rick suggested.

5) What is it made out of? It looks like copper or maybe bronze in the photos, with brass used in the band around the equator of the thing.

6) Any evidence on the bottom that it was exposed to flame, or at least heat?

It looks nice, whatever it is. Maybe it is just a "thing."
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 09:20 AM   #22
Valjhun

Hi,

Tim, Rather, I've managed to open it and I believe it to be really a bed warmer! Definetly something one would put water into, 'cos it is quite heavily "laquered" in the inside, and yes, it is water tight.

No, Mark, that cylinder is a qajar candle holder http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=qajar

It is not copper made however, white metal with great patina!

No evidence of heating the bottom.

Thank to all of you, for solving that mistery!