Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2006, 06:06 AM   #1
drdavid

Default A dha a day.

Hi all
my dha collection grows daily. I would be interested in the experts' thoughts on the origins of this one. I am not sure about the Burmese attribution but what do I know. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....d=1&sspagename

DrD
Attached Images

drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 06:38 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi DrD:

I think this one may be Thai rather than Burmese, just on the shape of the blade tip which is a recognized Thai style.

The hilt and scabbard seem to have been covered with black pitch or a similar material which has worn off partly with time and use, suggesting that this one may have some age -- 19th C seems about right.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 10:47 AM   #3
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

Me too, have a feeling of Thai rather than Burmese origin. There 's no photo for tip detail. But "Hua Bua" (lotus tip) or "Hua LukKai" (chicken tip) tip profile usually associated with central Thailand origin. The handle/blade ratio also fit average value of Thai's. The handle seems to be made of giant rattan. Some parts were missing. If you can take the handle off and take some pictures of the tang, tang thickness might help for its age ID.
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 01:58 PM   #4
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid
Hi all
my dha collection grows daily.
OH NO ... You didn't read the surgeon generals warning that dha could be addictive. Now it seems you are a fellow junkie

I cannot add anything to what Ian said except to add that I think this one will clean up nicely. A good find. This tip style would be Hua Pla Lod or Hua Bua the two are hard for me to tell apart. Someone else here I am sure can tell you which.

http://www.cozun.com/images/New%20Bl...0names%20B.jpg

Last edited by RhysMichael; 26th July 2006 at 04:33 PM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 12:07 PM   #5
drdavid

Default Now I'm confused

Hi Puff and RhysMichael
I am getting a confused. Puff you say the tip may be Hua Bau or Hua LukKai, and Rhys you say Hua Bau or Hua Pla Lod. The pics on the link you give Rhys look like Hua Bau or Hua Pla Lod would be correct , the Dha research site calls similar tips spatulate or spear tip (also translated as Hua Bau). To me spatulate looks too rounded and spear tip possibly too pointed. So could someone clear up Hua Bau, Hua LukKai and Hau Pla Lod for me (just a little)
cheers
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 01:26 PM   #6
Mark

Hua bua actually is not synonymous with "spatulate" as I use the latter term. Hua bua has a very small upturned blip at the tip. You need to look closely at the photo on my glossary page & looking at the shadows helps spot it.

"Spatulate," as I use the term, refers to a tip that is completely rounded. The problem is that a hua bua tip can lose the blip trhough wear and/or sharpening. It could well be that what I distinguish as spatulate is actually a worn-down hua bua.

Hua lu guy (lukkai) refers to the tip which has a down-turned back edge, giving the effect of an up-side-down blade (the downward sweep of the back edge is greater than the upward sweep of the keen edge).

And now I'm forgetting what hua pla lod is. From the context its spatulate.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 04:13 PM   #7
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

PlaLod is a kind of fish, Mastacembelus sp.
These are example of Dahb Hua PlaLod...

The upper one is older, Ayuthaya period. And the lower one is Rattanakosin, evolved in some degree. Hua PlaLod described a spatulate tip with the point 's not exactly at the middle (asymetrical tip curvature). And in most case, the point 's not very pointy.

This one is an example of Dahb Hua LukKai, Rattanakosin period.

It 's basicaly spatulate, big round tip with a little triangular beak, looks similar to Hua LukKai (chicken 's head). The little triangular tip could be slightly to the top, to the bottom or exactly at the middle.

We named this one as Hua Toh, just different from CoZun 's page.

And this is Bua (lotus). Dahb Hua Bua means lotus tip, which means spatulate tip with a big triangular pointy tip at the very middle of the tip curve.
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 04:26 PM   #8
RhysMichael

A great description
Thanks again Puff
Old 27th July 2006, 04:03 PM   #9
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid
Hi Puff and RhysMichael
I am getting a confused. Puff you say the tip may be Hua Bau or Hua LukKai, and Rhys you say Hua Bau or Hua Pla Lod. The pics on the link you give Rhys look like Hua Bau or Hua Pla Lod would be correct , the Dha research site calls similar tips spatulate or spear tip (also translated as Hua Bau). To me spatulate looks too rounded and spear tip possibly too pointed. So could someone clear up Hua Bau, Hua LukKai and Hau Pla Lod for me (just a little)
cheers
DrD
Puff is the "man on the ground" so to speak. Anything I add in is filtered by language differences ( if you take away a couple of dha terms I know zero Thai ) and thousands of miles. One of the frustrating yet fascinating things about these swords is how little is printed in english on them . Also we find there are often many terms used by different groups that to us seem conflicting. So I would defer to Puff to know better which is correct.