Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th May 2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default New Book: "British Military Swords: Volume One 1600-1660" by Stuart Mowbray

Since its first issue in 1979 I have subscribed to "Man at Arms" magazine, which is by far the premier magazine for American arms collectors. While a great deal of focus is on guns and Americana, there is a growing interest in European arms as well as on swords. Stuart Mowbray, its editor has long had a serious interest in English swords, and this phenomenal book has breathtaking photography of amazing examples of swords with historical detail on the swords used before, during and after the English Civil wars.
The author has a comfortable, refreshing manner of writing which makes the reader feel as if he is in a sitting room listening to a well seasoned collector discuss the history around incredible weapons displayed in wonderful story telling style. In this very easy tone, one of the most comprehensive and detailed studies of these seldom attended periods is magnificently explained.

I personally have researched and studied German blades, Hounslow and Shotley Bridge blades for many years, but honestly never fully understood the entire picture until I read Stuarts brilliant discussion in this book. While the theme is on English swords, many of these blades are distinctly associated with the many trade blades found throughout Europe and in many cases in ethnographic circumstances.
It is priced at only 69.99! & shipping and in my own opinion its value is far beyond!! I cant put this thing down!!! and amazing facts come up every time I open it.
www.gunandswordcollector.com
1800-999-4697 or 401-597-5055

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 26th May 2013 at 04:29 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote