Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default 'Africanised' machete

From my collection a nice European machete which has been customised. Have any other members got anything similar ? Would this have been done in Africa, or in Europe to appeal to local tastes ?
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 10:28 AM   #2
colin henshaw

Very unusual and interesting - I've never seen such before. How is the handle fixed to the blade ? Looks African done.

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Very unusual and interesting - I've never seen such before. How is the handle fixed to the blade ? Looks African done.

Regards.
Hi Colin .... the tang is neatly fitted into the wooden grips .. its not a crude 'glue' job, whether the tang is rivetted through the grpis I cant see due to the wire binding . It is very well done , but as you say , most likely African . As to period, I have no idea.
Richmond
Old 27th January 2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Iain

Another great find from the 'pile'! I like this one very much, a nice fusion piece. My guess would be somewhere like Benin because of the wood carving style. But it could equally be any number of West African areas.

Age, maybe early 20th century? There has to be someone on the forums who will recognize the blade pattern and have a bit more info?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Another great find from the 'pile'! I like this one very much, a nice fusion piece. My guess would be somewhere like Benin because of the wood carving style. But it could equally be any number of West African areas.

Age, maybe early 20th century? There has to be someone on the forums who will recognize the blade pattern and have a bit more info?
Iain ... good suggestion . I rooted through my machetes and found this 1942 dated example by Beal of Sheffield . It has a very similar blade profile and the 2 scabbards also have much in common . The 'African one could be earlier though as this style of British Army machete was on issue even pre WW1.
Richmond
Attached Images

Old 27th January 2012, 11:01 PM   #6
trenchwarfare

I have seen quite a few of these "enhanced" machetes on fleabay, over the years. Must've been a popular theme. The style of British machete shown was issued from before WWI, to well after WWII. The wrokmanship on the piece in question, is better than most, and looks to be pre WWII.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 09:57 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL MACHETES VERY SIMULAR FROM THE CARRIBEAN, THE ISLAND OF TRINIDAD IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY. MANY OF THE ISLANDS WERE OCCUPIED BY TRANSPORTED AFRICANS FROM VARIOUS TRIBES AS A RESULT ALL THINGS AFRICAN DON'T NECESSARLY COME FROM AFRICA.
A NICE EXAMPLE SHOWING GOOD AGE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote