Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st September 2007, 06:16 PM   #31
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Look closely, is that a saber? I cannot see a guard? could this be a special blade for halal method?
just a precision,
no specific knife, dagger, sword to slaught an animal according with Islamic rite,
and have the meat reputed "hallal"
just ; to cut the throat of the animal in life, and in the same time, to address to God a specific prayer

it's just requested that the "tool" must be with a blade very sharp and cutting,
and to avoid to show it to the animal

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 08:20 PM   #32
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Ariel can you back that statement up {human flesh the main source of protein} Guinea Pigs, Dogs, Rabbits and so on. Would have made a very disturbing shambles next to the flowers stalls in Mexico city.

Here it is. It is hotly disputed, of course, and the critics try to minimize the "nutrient" component of the ritual.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/7752
The argument, essentially, is what was the relative %% of ritualistic motives vs. just dietary ones: "Mumbo-jumbo" vs. " Aztek gumbo"
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 08:35 PM   #33
Tim Simmons

Interesting.
I am not surprised it is hotly disputed. It is hardly heavy weight. No basis in eyewitness and Spanish accounts. Whoever wrote this must think that south of the border nothing green grows. I am astonished that it is being read at all. I wonder what real historians would make of it.
Just think of all the very lovely food stuffs that came from that part of the world and the huge population not the product of man eats man society. I believe there is some basis for a scenario akin to man eats man at one time in the Easter Islands but even then I am not sure the consumption of human flesh was as blahsay as pork chop night!

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 21st September 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 11:10 PM   #34
ariel

Many societies practiced human sacrifice. However, they made war to enslave as many prisoners as possible and sacrificed a few to please their gods. Only Azteks ate all their prisoners, and even had a term " Corn-man" for them. They did not practice husbandry and animal flesh was not easily available. But to satisfy hunger one needs fat, and even milkfat was not available ( even vegetarian Jainists have unlimited supply of ghee). Corn oil?
one can get protein from beans but as the only source it is inefficient. Large amounts of beans? Dread to think about gastrointestinal consequences
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:02 AM   #35
spiral

mmmmm A mate of mine who was recruited from a minor Brit army unit for SAS training in total contradiction of supposed sellection & volunteering process when we were only both about 20 , He did stand out though he was above Genuis IQ, spoke 5 languages & as brave as any man ive met in an All Saints road pub or party or other dubios situations one can find themselves in as a young man etc, said he was told during training Human meat sharpens brain & eyesight more than most meats, if just lightly barbecued? could that be true? I dont know.

Might be an old wifes tale, but the fellow who told me presumed those who taught him new what it was all about.

(on another take re. sacrifice, if anyone wants a few second Dashien festival clip of Brit army Gurkhas beheading a large buffalo with one blow of a kukri , send email to spiraltwista@aol.com with kukri vid in title. & ill send you one.}

Spiral.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 10:11 AM   #36
Bill M

Default Headless corpses raise ritual killing fear

It may still be happening in Togo, west Africa.

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...s&pageNumber=1
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote