Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th March 2016, 04:34 PM   #31
A.alnakkas

Here is one of the examples in my collection. Made by Nasser Hanoun alHawashi. While it looks brand new, its actually made atleast 3 decades ago since Nasser ibn Hanoun have quit this work in the 80's.

Nasser Hanoun AlHawashi is a southern maker. Note the near identical work.
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 12:05 PM   #32
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I do not think the confusion is from my part, as I know these weapons well enough and can read the maker's names and is able to trace the makers to their specific areas. Both make identical styles with very minor differences. Both the examples posted in this forum post are what southern Arabs call Dojani (and that Omani supposedly call habaabi..) Both items are made by identified Ahsa makers.

Except there is no proof of Omani style khanjars worn in Asir region during the 19th century. Most of their style was dominantly Yemeni since it was.. part of Yemen.

I would love a single reference of an Omani of credibility with regards to heritage and tradition using the term Habaabi to address Asir. A textual reference or even an interview would do, be it in Arabic or English.

Actually.. AlAhsa is one of the better researched region, compared to Ha'il and Riyadh (also produced khanjars by the way) AlAhsa is rather easy to gain information about. its a very close knit society with makers still alive. The makers also do not have the tradition of belittling craftsmen that exist in more bedouin influenced areas. Thus its easy to go there and find information or to enquire with Hasawi researchers who produced alot of regarding the craftsmanship in the area and the families there.

Anyway, this style of khanjar can be identified by an upturned scabbard, chequered style wire wrap fixed with 7 rings over cloth/leather (usually green but other colours can be found) the hilt is larger and less decorated compared to the Saidi style. The chape and locket are made out filigree silver in multiple styles too.

Salaams ...Look at http://khanjar.om/Old.html go to al Wustah and see the almost identical weapon. Observe the very close link between Sur and Jazzan and join the dots. Being about half way to Zanzibar and an important trade point/hum Jazzan was a magnet for Oman to Zanzibar shipping. Oman pumped shiploads of Ivory herbs and slaves through this ancient port but mainly in the 19th C .
The region was in Yemen at the time...though after 1923 it was absorbed into Saudia.

See http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...8&page=7&pp=30

However, if you are not convinced please feel free to possit an alternative theory... Your idea that Ahsa and the Asir have got the same weapon is interesting and I can go along with that since I can see how both regions were supplied by the same Omani source weapon;...The Asir by sea...and al Ahsa by camel train....but the origin of species is Al Wustah. From what is now the al Wustah Region...Quote" Al-Wusta lies south of Ad-Dakhliyah Region and is bordered on the east by Arabian Sea, and on the west by Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It is the second largest Region geographically after Dhofar, but the smallest demographically, with a population of only 23 thousand''.Unquote. I mean don't believe me if you don't want to but I spent a part of my life in this region ... but please absorb the detail surrounding Said the Great where you will note how pivotal this region was in the entire Zanzibar story. By coincidence I live at the start point of the other famous camel route Buraimi to Al Hasa, thus, I offer a degree of in area experience ...30+ years worth. Slave trading is still in living memory therefor I can assure forum of the credibility of this situation. Our store is 50 metres from the old slave market !

The al Wustah weapon appears to have influenced a number of regional and international styles including the Royal Omani Khanjar (in about 1835) as well as the weapon seen in Yemen at the time...now in Saudia (Asir) ...and more than likely the eastern Saudia region of Al Ahsa...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 21st March 2016 at 12:40 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 12:43 PM   #33
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams ...Look at http://khanjar.om/Old.html go to al Wustah and see the almost identical weapon. Observe the very close link between Sur and Jazzan and join the dots. Being about half way to Zanzibar and an important trade point/hum Jazzan was a magnet for Oman to Zanzibar shipping. Oman pumped shiploads of Ivory herbs and slaves through this ancient port but mainly in the 19th C .... The region was in Yemen at the time.
The craftmanship on the khanjar posted on khanjar.com is near identical to one crafted by Hussain alDajani (posted on this topic as well) without the back side posted there is very little to say of it and I am yet to see such an example tracked back to an Omani maker. I have contacted them with the request of sending photos of the back side. It wouldn't be so Omani if the palm and swords logo is there :-)

This is not the first item and especially not the first khanjar made somewhere else that is identified as Omani in a publication. Though I am all ears, any item of provenance? a single inscription that traces back to an Omani maker or an Omani user?

There is plenty tracing to Saudi but I reckon reading Arabic might be difficult.

Quote:
However if you are not convinced please feel free to possit an alternative theory... Your idea that Ahsa and the Asir have got the same weapon is interesting and I can go along with that since I can see how both regions were supplied by the same Omani source weapon;...The Asir by sea...and al Ahsa by camel train....but the origin of species is Al Wustah. From what is now the al Wustah Region...Quote" Al-Wusta lies south of Ad-Dakhliyah Region and is bordered on the east by Arabian Sea, and on the west by Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It is the second largest Region geographically after Dhofar, but the smallest demographically, with a population of only 23 thousand''.Unquote. I mean don't believe me if you don't want to but I spent a part of my life in this region ... but please absorb the detail surrounding Said the Great where you will note how pivotal this region was in the entire Zanzibar story.

The al Wustah weapon appears to have influenced a number of regional and international styles including the Royal Omani Khanjar (in about 1835) as well as the weapon seen in Yemen at the time...now in Saudia (Asir) after 1923...and more than likely the eastern Saudia region of Al Ahsa...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
You confuse my argument, I am not denying any Omani influence on this style of dagger or Arab arms. Oman was a hub for the weapon smuggling network that spanned all the way to Kuwait. To dismiss Oman is abit foolish.

I still await a source that proves the existence of the name Habaabi for any type of weapon.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 02:36 PM   #34
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
The craftmanship on the khanjar posted on khanjar.com is near identical to one crafted by Hussain alDajani (posted on this topic as well) without the back side posted there is very little to say of it and I am yet to see such an example tracked back to an Omani maker. I have contacted them with the request of sending photos of the back side. It wouldn't be so Omani if the palm and swords logo is there :-)

This is not the first item and especially not the first khanjar made somewhere else that is identified as Omani in a publication. Though I am all ears, any item of provenance? a single inscription that traces back to an Omani maker or an Omani user?

There is plenty tracing to Saudi but I reckon reading Arabic might be difficult.

You confuse my argument, I am not denying any Omani influence on this style of dagger or Arab arms. Oman was a hub for the weapon smuggling network that spanned all the way to Kuwait. To dismiss Oman is abit foolish.

I still await a source that proves the existence of the name Habaabi for any type of weapon.
Salaams, Indeed yes they are identical other than the reverse markings that often as you show have a name and also many carry the Flowermen Tribal insignia... The bunch of Flowers.(BUT NOT ALL) I agree to your point about Ahsa and Asir though entirely different areas as having the same or similar weaponry but I add the caveat that both areas were considerable trading partners with Oman by the routes already outlined...and that Al Wustah was the pivot point for both...thus the origin of species in Oman.

The word Habaabi is entirely colloquial..I agree that not everyone is so aware of it...but that is entirely normal here. There are many points in Omani History that people do not know or have forgotten. How quickly people forget when a system is not written down. To get to the root of this needs not only wide open research in each area but cross cultural understanding of these weapon types.

The government site at http://khanjar.om/Old.html is a good addition to our understanding though I have to say that even in a reference like omanisilver.com there is a huge muddle with what are Asiri weapons and what are Omani.

Even the respected Richardson and Dorr is incomplete but that is the problem with publications...once it is written that's it...finished...at least at Forum we can change and modify and with the brilliant library system offer future students a good anchor position from which to build...

How for example at Omani Silver. com can Asiri weapons of the type Flower Tribe with a floral stamp on reverse be Omani? When does a weapon mirrored in a different country become of that country? Most publications here are flawed by being incomplete or blatantly incorrect though I point to our own Forum as being not only up to date but "live".

Insofar as the word Habaabi; I believe it is attached like a nickname to the dagger from Abha (of Abha)...and the Asir but is entirely referred to by Omani people, though, I will examine this as I go forward. I do not however, expect to find documentary evidence.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote