Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th June 2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Iliad

Default Russian Sword for I D and Comment

Hi all, here is another piece from my collection. Russian I believe, but will appreciate more info. Is it cavalry or foot soldier? Officer or ordinary grunt?
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Soviet, probably made in an Outlying Republik

In leafing through Eugene Mollo's Russian Military Swords: 1801-1917 this saber appears to follow the overall pattern of a dragoon (mounted) shashka, soldiers (ordinary grunt), "system of 1881". - however, I have never seen one with a cast brass grip before; the grip is usually wood.

Yours would clearly be later (hammer and sickle mark) and the markings leave me wondering if it were made in one of the outlying Soviet era republiks; for a while several decades ago newly made examples with serial numbers as modern Arabic numerals were showing up, but these also had wooden grips.

I recall having really wanted an old one of these when I was in college - I never did get a proper one, but ultimately satisfied the itch with a very, very battered 1841 model with the quillon pierced to mimic the later model.

Hopefully someone who knows their militaria better will be able to be more specific about your example.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hi Brian,
A number of these Shaska and bayonet combinations came out of China quite recently, whilst my knowledge does not extend to being able to say for sure that this is one of these the general lack of quality would tend to make me think that this is indeed a Chinese repro. Even the post 1917 ones, which this would appear to be, although utility, were in my experience better made than this one. Please don't take my doubts as a positive affirmation that this is a copy, I sincerely hope it's not, but it would be worthwhile to investigate the possibility further.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 09:45 PM   #4
ariel

Sorry to confirm: recent Chinese manufacture. The markings make no sense: it's just like one of us would want to imitate Chinese hieroglyphs using random squiggles, magazine ads and titles of Bruce Lee's movies.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 10:14 PM   #5
Lee
EAAF Staff

Unhappy Bummer

What does make sense are Ariel and Norman's remarks.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Iliad

Thanks (I think!) for the advice, guys. Naturally very disappointed to find that it is a copy, but at least it looks good and will impress visitors.
Life is hard ain't it!
Brian
P S Deep sigh
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote