Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Interesting how the Filipino soldiers were issued bolos by the US Army...
Certain elite units of the present Philippine Marines are still issued bolos (e.g., ginunting), even up to now.

On where to buy them, kindly check out this post.
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
Certain elite units of the present Philippine Marines are still issued bolos (e.g., ginunting), even up to now.

On where to buy them, kindly check out this post.
I actually bought a ginunting from Buddy last Dec. It was a Xmas present to myself. Buddy makes them for the Philippine Marine elite unit. They practice pekiti tirsia under Leo Gaje...and this is their weapon of choice and it is made to their specs.

I just have to add...it is extremely well balanced and light. The Kamagong handles make it look heavy but it is not. Very easy to swing, chop, hack, thrust, etc... And Buddy is a great guy to deal with.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 02:21 PM   #3
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
I actually bought a ginunting from Buddy last Dec. It was a Xmas present to myself. Buddy makes them for the Philippine Marine elite unit ...
Which reminds me, I've been meaning to get one for myself, too!
Attached Images

Old 19th April 2009, 02:27 PM   #4
migueldiaz

Quote:
I just have to add...it is extremely well balanced and light. The Kamagong handles make it look heavy but it is not. Very easy to swing, chop, hack, thrust, etc... And Buddy is a great guy to deal with.
By the way, would you know if the Phil. Army (with US troops below, in the 2008 joint exercise in Luzon) would also have a standard issue bolo? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Dimasalang

Quote:
By the way, would you know if the Phil. Army (with US troops below, in the 2008 joint exercise in Luzon) would also have a standard issue bolo? Thanks.
Hi Miguel, I wouldn't know if the regulars in the Phil. Army have an issued bolo. Im now curious to know if they do. My guess would be yes, considering the environment they have to deal with most of the time. I'll try and find out.

Quote:
In studying the story of the bolomen, I have yet to read Muddy Glory: America's Indian Wars in the Philippines (1981) and Bullets & Bolos: Fifteen Years in the Philippine Islands (1928).

I've read several times however, Vic Hurley's Jungle Patrol (1938) and Swish of the Kris (1936).
You can read Bullets and Bolos online at a secret location. I'll PM it to you.
I have yet to read Muddy Glory also...tough to find that one. I also read through Jungle Patrol and Swish of the Kris a couple times. A copy of Swish of the Kris sold on ebay a few months back...if I remember right it went over $100. I got my copy of Jungle Patrol on ebay for ~$40.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 02:15 PM   #6
migueldiaz

Quote:
Hi Miguel, I wouldn't know if the regulars in the Phil. Army have an issued bolo. Im now curious to know if they do. My guess would be yes, considering the environment they have to deal with most of the time. I'll try and find out.

You can read Bullets and Bolos online at a secret location. I'll PM it to you.
I have yet to read Muddy Glory also...tough to find that one. I also read through Jungle Patrol and Swish of the Kris a couple times. A copy of Swish of the Kris sold on ebay a few months back...if I remember right it went over $100. I got my copy of Jungle Patrol on ebay for ~$40.
Thanks!

In searching for old books, you may also want to try these:

[1] BookFinder4U

[2] UsedBookSearch

[3] Univ. of the Phils. library, in case you have relatives here in the Phils. who are enrolled at UP at the moment ...

Last edited by migueldiaz; 21st April 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 21st April 2009, 02:56 PM   #7
migueldiaz

From the Wikipedia article on Bolo knife, the photos below were described as:
Early 20th century Cebuano Police officers armed with a pinuti (left) and a sundang (right)
and
An assortment of bolos and related implements include:

1. The all-purpose bolo: Used for all sorts of odd jobs, including breaking open coconuts.

2. The haras: Similar to a small scythe, it is used for cutting tall grass.

3. The kutsilyo: The term comes from the Spanish word cuchillo, meaning knife. Generally used to kill and bleed pigs during slaughter.

4. A smaller bolo.

5. The bolo-guna: A bolo specifically shaped for digging out roots and weeding.

6. The garab: Used to harvest rice.

7. A large pinuti: Traditionally it is tipped in snake, spider or scorpion venom and used for self-defense.

8. The sundang: Supposedly used mainly to open coconuts. The sundang, also called "tip bolo" or itak, was a popular weapon of choice in the revolution against the Spanish colonial government and during the Philippine–American War.
There are about 170 dialects in the Philippines, by the way. Thus, it's very likely that the same term may refer to a different blade type in another locale (or vice versa).
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2009, 08:52 PM   #8
KuKulzA28

Just to liven up this topic once more (I like it very much), what was historically the most successful bolo-rush?
I am intrigued by these near-suicidal rushes being made by native people against colonial powers. Some of them were part of native war-doctrine. Others didn't usually engage in a wild rush unless circumstances necessitated it - the normal warfare was traditionally ambuscades, raids, counter-raids, and very few open engagements. How successful were they? Would it have been easier just to form small groups and ambush with traps and pits with bolo-men closing in afterwards? Or was it paramount to attack with masses of bolo-men? In some cases, maybe fewer bolos would've been better ratio-wise? Masses do inspire courage however...
And also, what's the level of martial training for these bolo-men? Were they simply familiar with their blades or were they familiar and particularly skilled?
I know, for examples, that gurkas didn't traditionally train with khukuris, but rather, the kora, tulwar, etc. were more important weapons. With the introduction of modern firearms, the utility and fighting capabilities of the khukuri shown greatly as bows and koras were replaced by assault rifles. I don't know if many Chinese Da-dao-men were well trained or simply given basic techniques, but they performed admirably... as did the Chileans with their corvos...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote