Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks very much Spiral. I figured if anybody were to locate one of these British entrenching axes it would be you I agree, the rather distorted image of that tulwar pretty much says it on the potential accuracy of the weapons!
The shape of the head on this entrenching tool seems more in line with what I picture with the thuggee form with more of a claw type shape (without the shovel of course.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 08:36 PM   #2
kronckew

as a slight aside, the head of the ww1 entrenching tool was dismountable for storage, a cast steel mace head was also supplied that could be used in it's place for trench warfare.

mine (shaft is not original)
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks very much Kronckew! that looks like a serious headache maker! It seems like it is similar to something that came up on a recent thread discussing some of the mace type weapons hafted with sword hilts in India. In discussing many of these I think we are reminded of the thin line parallel between weapons and tools.

All very best regards,
Jim
Old 1st January 2008, 09:06 PM   #4
kronckew

weapons are after all, just a type of tool. something politicians tend to forget. the only thing separating it from any other hunk of steel is the mind using it...

entrenching tools themselves (at least the shovel types, as far as i know) were frequently used as trench warfare tools, a sharpened edge was as good as a sword. the russian spetznast are fond of throwing sharpened entrenching tools even today....
Old 9th January 2008, 04:04 AM   #5
BBJW

The old movie "Gunga Din" with Cary Grant and Victor McLaglen has some very interesting weapons. It shows the "thugs" using a double pick like a 2 sided zaghnal. Worth a look.

bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2023, 07:28 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJW View Post
The old movie "Gunga Din" with Cary Grant and Victor McLaglen has some very interesting weapons. It shows the "thugs" using a double pick like a 2 sided zaghnal. Worth a look.

bbjw
Revisiting old threads thought I'd add this.
Attached Images

Old 16th June 2023, 06:59 AM   #7
kronckew

Looks like the prop dept. whittled a point on the haft of a std. pick-adze
Attached Images

Old 9th January 2008, 04:08 AM   #8
BBJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
weapons are after all, just a type of tool. something politicians tend to forget. the only thing separating it from any other hunk of steel is the mind using it...

entrenching tools themselves (at least the shovel types, as far as i know) were frequently used as trench warfare tools, a sharpened edge was as good as a sword. the russian spetznast are fond of throwing sharpened entrenching tools even today....

The Cold Steel company makes a very high quality copy of the Soviet Spetznast shovel. They sell for less than $20 and are very handy. I put one in all our vehicles.

bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote