Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th September 2024, 04:27 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Nice Moro Kampillan

Here is a very nice and I believe very old Moro kampillan...I think from at least the early 19th Century... or older. The blade is just over 28in./71cm. and is a rather standard kampillan design, showing a nice, narrow, and controlled temper line.
The whalebone hilt is probably the best example I have seen carved in that material. It measures 9.5in./24cm. in length. The detail is very well done showing considerable craftsmanship. The guard apparently came loose at some point and was reinforced with a rattan tie onto the grip. It looks to have been tied only on the upper portion of the guard. There are no shadows or lines indicating a similar tie to the lower portion. The patina has given the hilt a sort of "honey-colored" hue which I think is lovely.
The horsehair tuffs are restored.
I am just curious if anyone else notices a tiny face at the very end of the top of the hilt(see pic from the top of the hilt)? Maybe it's intentional, or maybe I am seeing things!
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2024, 05:30 PM   #2
JeffS

Welcome back Charles! Thanks for sharing, I would be curious to see other whalebone examples. The little face looks displeased you discovered him. 🤣
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2024, 08:10 PM   #3
carlos

Congratulations!!! Is a great piece, very unusual, always is a pleasure see this type of kampilan.
Best regards
Carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice. I watched this one. Thought about restoring it myself.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:04 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Charles,

Very nice kampilan indeed. I believe the use of whalebone indicates a prestigious weapon because it is an uncommon material on these swords, and some of the other examples I have seen were said to have distinguished owners. The way that rattan has been used to anchor the cross piece to the hole behind the "saddle" of the grip is suggestive of similar mountings on Maguindanao kris. My guess is that this kampilan was owned by a Maguindanao datu or other member of the nobility. The horse hair is nicely trimmed and recent, as you note.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote