Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM   #10
Radboud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Later, when LeMarchant proposed a new heavy cavalry sword, he based it on the Austrian 1775 heavy cavalry sword.
It was LeMarchant's intention for the 1796 Pattern light cavalry sabre to be a 'universal' sabre, i.e. used by all cavalry units including the heavy cavalry. It was because the later resisted this change that he had to cast around for an alternative. With his positive experiences with the Austria cavalry he recommened their 1769 model which the 1796 Pattern HC is a near identical copy of.

Quote:
I am uncertain how much longer 'later examples' would have been made, and most of the examples I have seen have year 1814 or 1815 (possible some 1816? but none I can recall).
Is this your observation or Morgans'? I would love to see an example of a 1796 Pattern sword with a date stamp on it.

Quote:
While I have seen some implications that there may have been several 1796s at Balaklava in 1854, that seemed impossible, but looking at these circumstances one can only wonder...perhaps not that far fetched. The 1821s were not popular and complaints of weak blades etc.
This rumor likely came about because several survivors of the infamous charge of the light brigade were presented with inscribed 1796 Pattern light cavalry sabres when they retired.

As you say, it is extremely unlikely that any 1796 pattern swords were in service on the frontline by this point.

Quote:
Just some perspectives, swordsmanship in British cavalry, particularly in other ranks, seemed not especially skilled overall, so perhaps accidental wounding more common than realized.
The British have never been a cavalry nation, something to do with the amount of available land and the cost of raising horses. I'd guess that the issues of transporting horses across the English channel or Atlantic also played a role in this.
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote