Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th August 2024, 12:42 PM   #1
HughChen

Default Hilts of very high level.

items of a finished auction. Very high quality.
Attached Images

HughChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2024, 02:35 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughChen View Post
items of a finished auction. Very high quality.
These are nice carvings Hugh, but honestly i would hesitate to label them as VERY high quality. First of all, usually the highest quality would be reserved for ivory, not only a more valuable material, but one that lends itself to a more detailed level of carving than bone. But even bone can be carved to a higher level of carving than the examples you show. Please understand i am not saying those examples are undesirable. As i stated, they are really nice hilts that i would surely welcome into my collection. But i just wanted you to be aware that they are not the highest level of Balinese carving skill.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2024, 02:40 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Here are a couple of rather nice Bali hilts carved in bone. These two are contemporary carving which i believe are done with moose bone, which has become a popular medium for contemporary Balinese carvers. I believe the detail on these later carvings is fairly high quality.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2024, 03:54 AM   #4
HughChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Here are a couple of rather nice Bali hilts carved in bone. These two are contemporary carving which i believe are done with moose bone, which has become a popular medium for contemporary Balinese carvers. I believe the detail on these later carvings is fairly high quality.
Yes David, I agree they are of high quality. But it's much easier to do high quality with electronic tools contemporarily.And New ones are open to sale in scale, whereas old good ones are difficult to find. Because of that, I think old carved hilts are still much more attractive to me.

Quote:
These are nice carvings Hugh, but honestly i would hesitate to label them as VERY high quality. First of all, usually the highest quality would be reserved for ivory, not only a more valuable material, but one that lends itself to a more detailed level of carving than bone. But even bone can be carved to a higher level of carving than the examples you show. Please understand i am not saying those examples are undesirable. As i stated, they are really nice hilts that i would surely welcome into my collection. But i just wanted you to be aware that they are not the highest level of Balinese carving skill.

I agree that ivory is always better, but ivory can cause some legal confusion so I'm afraid to be so into it that I cannot control myself to try to get one at legal risk.

It's a pleasure for me to see these high-quality carvings you've provided. Are these made of bone or ivory? It's beyond my ability to tell which are better, or to Rank them in terms of quality. If someone can do it to help me understand better, it will be much appreciated. In my naive eyes, I think they are as good as the pair I represent which was sold in a French aucion. I found them sold in very high price. I apologize for my lack of artistic sensitivity. Due to my sluggish appreciation ability, I have to rely on your expert view as an indicator to understand the quality of something. I myself can only tell which is good and which is not good, still lacking the ability to tell how good and which one is better .
Old 29th August 2024, 03:58 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

I believe that we need to differentiate between quality of execution, & quality of material, the two things are separate & different.

Post #81 in this thread is a hilt of mine, it is high quality material, 22K gold, and superb craftsmanship. This hilt displays both elements of quality in the single item.

With other hilts we should, I believe, make it clear if we are commenting on the material, or on the craftsmanship.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2024, 04:22 AM   #6
HughChen

Quote:
There are very very beautiful. Thank you for letting us see them!