Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th August 2024, 08:26 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Two nice old warriors for sure.
Reading the descriptions has raised a question for me. Ricikan, sekar kacang, praen, gandhik, lambe gajah, greneng, jenggot, sogokan and blumbangan are all Javanese words for parts or aspects of the Javanese keris. Gangya is the one word here that has obviously had some carry over to the Moro kris/kalis as a variation of their word gonjo (ganja). This terminology has, to a greater extent, been adopted and applied to keris from outside the Javanese culture, though i have run across numerous diagrams that show the more culturally correct terminology for various other Indonesian and Malay cultures as well. While i do understand that using one lexicon to describe the features of keris makes communication a bit easier it still seems a shame to allow more specific cultural identities to fade away from lack of use. But rarely have i seen this many Javanese keris terms used to describe a Moro kris. I have to wonder if we are not doing the Moro culture a bit of a disservice by not seeking out the terminology used by their smiths and people to describe the parts of their own weapons. I has seen a few diagrams that attempt to lists these culturally correct terms, but none seem to be as extensive as the Javanese lexicon for keris parts. I have attached what little i have seen in this regard even though i am fairly sure that you all have seen them as well.
I am also attaching a few diagrams showing some of the variations on keris terminolgy that can be found in various places around the archipelago that are different from the generally embraced Javanese terms.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote