Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th August 2024, 12:07 AM   #1
HughChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Detlef,

I doubt such carvings in th crosspiece were done until WWII, but when they were done, sometimes on old ivory crosspieces. I don't particularly like this kind of things, but that goes together with how "traditional" art developed in Bali.

If we compare blades of this Keris and David's, I would say, David's is easily four, five times more worth.
Hello,Gustav

Why don't you like it?
HughChen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2024, 09:41 AM   #2
Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughChen;292688

Hello,Gustav

Why don't you like it?
Hugh,

the quick answer would be - because of my personal taste.

The somewhat longer one - I doubt, somebody interested primarily in Bali, how it was before 1908, when the order changed, would like this kind of ivory crosspiece carving.

If somebody, who has visited Bali in recent times, would have chance to visit Bali around 1900, he most probably would be astonished, how much of "traditional" Bali is missing - music, dances, stone and wood carvings. All of this did exist back in this time of course, yet in a completely different style and with completely different expression.

On the other hand, this style of crosspiece carving is a genuine part of Balinese art of, let's say, 1950 - 1965, as such it is completely acceptable and genuine. It is kind of "aristocratic" version of the dancer's Keris.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=dance+keris

For anybody interested in changes of Balinese society and art during the XX century, I recommend the book by Hildred Geertz, "The Life of a Balinese Temple. Artistry, Imagination, and history in a Peasant Village".
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2024, 11:28 AM   #3
HughChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Hugh,

the quick answer would be - because of my personal taste.

The somewhat longer one - I doubt, somebody interested primarily in Bali, how it was before 1908, when the order changed, would like this kind of ivory crosspiece carving.

If somebody, who has visited Bali in recent times, would have chance to visit Bali around 1900, he most probably would be astonished, how much of "traditional" Bali is missing - music, dances, stone and wood carvings. All of this did exist back in this time of course, yet in a completely different style and with completely different expression.

On the other hand, this style of crosspiece carving is a genuine part of Balinese art of, let's say, 1950 - 1965, as such it is completely acceptable and genuine. It is kind of "aristocratic" version of the dancer's Keris.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=dance+keris

For anybody interested in changes of Balinese society and art during the XX century, I recommend the book by Hildred Geertz, "The Life of a Balinese Temple. Artistry, Imagination, and history in a Peasant Village".
Thank you, Gustav! I can learn a lot from your answer. I just visited Bali just last month, a beautiful place! I also visited a Keris museum called Neka Art Museum. But all Keris there seems new and not very attracting to me.
HughChen is online now   Reply With Quote