Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th August 2024, 03:32 PM   #1
HughChen

Default An old keris blade ID

Hello all

I have an old keris. I can tell it's old through the appearance and condition of the blade. Can you help me to identify it? Is it a Majapahit Keris?

The ‘thing’ below the hilt is a new mammoth ivory rings. I replaced it myself.
Attached Images

HughChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2024, 05:31 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

The blumbangan appears to be the form that we call "boto adeg" = "standing brick", this form can be an indicator for a keris that we classify as "Mojojpahit" according to the tangguh system. However, it can also appear in other classifications of keris.

I cannot give a defensible opinion from this photo, but an opinion based upon what I believe I can see in the photo is that this keris blade was made in either East Jawa or in an area under the influence of the Surakarta kraton & it probably dates from the 19th century.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2024, 05:41 AM   #3
HughChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
The blumbangan appears to be the form that we call "boto adeg" = "standing brick", this form can be an indicator for a keris that we classify as "Mojojpahit" according to the tangguh system. However, it can also appear in other classifications of keris.

I cannot give a defensible opinion from this photo, but an opinion based upon what I believe I can see in the photo is that this keris blade was made in either East Jawa or in an area under the influence of the Surakarta kraton & it probably dates from the 19th century.
Thank you, Maisey!
Old 12th August 2024, 09:09 AM   #4
milandro

the " thing" would be a mendak and is not particularly looking like a mammoth one ( that material is generally darker), however beautiful, it isn't particularly in keeping with this kris.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2024, 01:45 PM   #5
HughChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
the " thing" would be a mendak and is not particularly looking like a mammoth one ( that material is generally darker), however beautiful, it isn't particularly in keeping with this kris.
Thank you, Milandro.

The former mendak of this Keris when I got it was even worse. It looks like horn or even plastic. That's why I try to replace it.
Attached Images

Old 13th August 2024, 06:00 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughChen View Post
Thank you, Milandro.

The former mendak of this Keris when I got it was even worse. It looks like horn or even plastic. That's why I try to replace it.
Yes, it did indeed need to be replaced, but the ring you replaced it with seems more like a Balinese uwer than a Javanese mendhak, so i would agree with Milandro that it i not appropriate for this keris. You need something more of this type.
I also agree that the material is not likely to me mammoth ivory, which would never be so white like that. It could be new ivory, but more likely some type of antler or bone.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2024, 04:00 AM   #7
HughChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yes, it did indeed need to be replaced, but the ring you replaced it with seems more like a Balinese uwer than a Javanese mendhak, so i would agree with Milandro that it i not appropriate for this keris. You need something more of this type.
I also agree that the material is not likely to me mammoth ivory, which would never be so white like that. It could be new ivory, but more likely some type of antler or bone.
Thank you Daivd, your advice is very useful. Before you told me, I didn't know that uwer and mendhak are different. I will try to find a Javanese mendhak for it.