Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd August 2024, 05:13 PM   #1
Pitt1999

Default Syrian(?) Kindjal

I recently purchased this small (10½ inch overall) kindjal that was described as being of Turkish origin.

The metal scabbard with silver inlay suggests that at least the scabbard could be of Syrian manufacture, although this scabbard is decorated in a much more simple style than what is typically seen in these steel and silver scabbards.

The blade has a mark that I remember seeing on some other kindjal before. It is clearly not related to this symbol in any way, but it reminds me of a small, less detailed version of the "flaming bomb" mark found on some Spanish and American weaponry.

On both sides of the blade there appears to be an acid etched pattern meant to imitate a pattern welded/twist core blade. I'm unsure if its the way that these photos were taken (these are the seller's photos), but the tip looks thicker than the rest of the blade. I think this kindjal is from the early to mid 20th century, so I am doubtful that it would have a reinforced tip.

Any and all comments are welcome.
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2024, 05:43 PM   #2
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt1999 View Post
The metal scabbard with silver inlay suggests that at least the scabbard could be of Syrian manufacture, although this scabbard is decorated in a much more simple style than what is typically seen in these steel and silver scabbards.

The blade has a mark that I remember seeing on some other kindjal before. It is clearly not related to this symbol in any way, but it reminds me of a small, less detailed version of the "flaming bomb" mark found on some Spanish and American weaponry.
I am not sure about the Syrian attribution. I always associate Syria with their lower end punched decoration in brass. Sorry no help there. What I do see is that the mark may be a version of the "vessel." I am having some perspicacity problems and can't remember the Arabic word for the motif. I believe it repeats on the sheath with the tree of life sprouting from it.

Do you think the front handle scale is Bakelite?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:27 PM   #3
Pitt1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
Do you think the front handle scale is Bakelite?
I do suspect that the hilt scales are bakelite or some other synthetic material. I wonder if it can be an older blade that got remounted with new furniture.
Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2024, 11:55 AM   #4
Sajen

Hello Pitt,

I am not an expert for this region but my feeling tells me that your nice dagger could be from Libanon. I like this piece, the handle scales are from goat horn IMVHO. With your age guess I would occur.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2024, 12:25 AM   #5
RobT

Default Same Logo

Hi All,

Here is another with the same logo. Hilt is also very similar. I'm sure that the scales on mine are horn. Six inch blade. Brass sheath.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2024, 04:01 PM   #6
Klop

Both are nice daggers, and for the straight one I'm also convinced the scales are natural horn.

Kind regard,
Eric
Klop is offline   Reply With Quote