Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st August 2024, 04:56 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triarii View Post
Random thought, having seen it elsewhere and having a blade where grinding out nicks has changed the blade profile in a similar fashion eg rapid change in blade depth;
Could the broadsword cutting edge have been badly nicked? The nicked edge is then ground away, creating the spine and turning the blade into a backsword. The blade is then flipped over to put the spine on the reverse and appears as seen now?

That is a most astute and reasonable theory that I had honestly not thought of, nicely observed. While it would seem that sharpening the edge would relieve the nicked areas, and if repeated there would be notable stock removal which might grind the edge to a spine if done in blunt manner. I would defer to those better versed in structural and metallurgical character of blades, but that is my view in accord with yours.

While the favor had gone to backsword blades in the British cavalry by the 1740s, it was by no means exclusively followed, and no new innovation as these had been in use early as the 'mortuary' cavalry swords in the early 17th century.

The Scots have always had great respect for their weapons and by that virtue the blades. As blades became older, and as with the great swords, two hand claymores which were brought down in length to be mounted in the basket hilt swords, as they were damaged taken down even further to be mounted in the Highland dirk.

Many Highland officers in British regiments were known to keep heirloom traditional blades mounted in the hilts currently in use. Hard to say exactly why this blade has been so altered, but is a legitimate old German blade that has likely seen its share of hard use.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2024, 08:44 PM   #2
urbanspaceman

Default Broad and Back

I recently learned that the transition from broadsword to backsword came about to create greater weight in the blade. Seems plausible.
urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote