Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th July 2024, 03:45 PM   #1
Marc M.

Default Three Boa's

Three plain Boa short swords. According to the site africanarms.com, the narrow swords were used for plantation work. The wide one has a slightly different blade than usual. comments welcome.
Regards
Marc
Attached Images

Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2024, 04:31 PM   #2
Sajen

Hi Marc,

Nice Boa blades! I've handled some Boa blades and I was always amazed about them, one I've shown at this place.
Recently I came across two copper bladed Boa knives, never have seen one before.
Do you plan to clean the blades a little bit more?
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2024, 05:18 PM   #3
kronckew

Cool, do you have a link for the narrow boa reference, the mentioned site is rather hard to navigate?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2024, 06:43 PM   #4
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Marc,

Nice Boa blades! I've handled some Boa blades and I was always amazed about them, one I've shown at this place.
Recently I came across two copper bladed Boa knives, never have seen one before.
Hi Detlef
Nice Boa sword you have, with a blade shape that is less common. I stripped the blades of the red rust spots and put on a layer of metal wax. I'm not a big fan of over cleaned blades, but that's personal.

Regards
Marc
Old 30th July 2024, 06:50 PM   #5
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
Cool, do you have a link for the narrow boa reference, the mentioned site is rather hard to navigate?
Hi Kronckew

I am hopeless at such things as attaching a link. The site is user friendly for me so that says something. The start page is a takouba , left click, click on swords/knives and on page 11 you will find the Boa.
Regards
Marc
Old 2nd August 2024, 02:47 PM   #6
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Marc,

Hi Detlef

Here is my latest Boa Similar to your sword. It is a blade shape that is less common, but found one for not too much money. Condition according to the seller was in excellent condition with no rust and a nice patina on the blade.Upon receipt it turned out to be a varnished rusty blade. After a few hours of elbow grease it looks a little better. Oal 75cm.
Regards
Marc
Attached Images

Old 2nd August 2024, 04:28 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M. View Post
Hi Detlef

Here is my latest Boa Similar to your sword. It is a blade shape that is less common, but found one for not too much money. Condition according to the seller was in excellent condition with no rust and a nice patina on the blade.Upon receipt it turned out to be a varnished rusty blade. After a few hours of elbow grease it looks a little better. Oal 75cm.
Regards
Marc
Hi Marc,
Very nice one and indeed the same shape as the one I had once! Good cleaning job!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2024, 06:13 PM   #8
Araņa_del_Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M. View Post
Hi Detlef

Regards
Marc
Very nice work! If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to clean the blade?

-ADS
Araņa_del_Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2024, 09:34 AM   #9
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araņa_del_Sol View Post
Very nice work! If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to clean the blade?

-ADS
Hi ADS
Since there was a layer of varnish on it I started with a paint stripper, took off the dissolved varnish layer with a 3M sanding sponge, then sanded away the fairly hard layer of rust with sandpaper from coarse to fine. Went into the grooves with a brass brush without much result then with a steel brush in a pillar drill brushed most everything away.
Cleaned away the sanding lines with 3M and steel wool and a layer of metal wax on the blade.
Regards
Marc