Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th July 2024, 11:17 PM   #15
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Continuing in the same theme, here is one from the sold area of the new Oriental-Arms site: Item number 15238. Artzi has labeled this one as Malay Peninsula in origin, and the style of hilt and the asang asang would support that attribution. However, I think the blade is likely Moro in origin for two reasons:
  1. The presence of a twist core central panel on an obviously old blade, and
  2. The presence of an "arrow head"
A twist core central panel on a Malay made kris blade does occur, but on broad blades with a central fuller (see A-9 and A-13 shown in the post #8 of this thread) that post date this example considerably IMHO. I have already commented on the "arrow head" feature, which is strongly correlated with Moro blades.

The twist core area on this sword is worthy of comment. Four separate rods have been used with a prominent chevron pattern either side of a central chevron pair. This is unusual and clearly a prestige blade--perhaps a presentation blade. A single chevron pattern is seen in example A-6 in post #8 of this thread.

The indicators of substantial age are several:
  • Short blade (16.5 in.) and overall length (21.5 in.)
  • Straight line of separation between gangya and blade
  • A gandik with a convex profile similar to the "Modern Javanese Keris"
An unusual feature to my eye is the lambe gajah. Three horizontal lines span the line of separation--which two represent the "lips"? This arrangement is not unique to this sword (see the example immediately preceding this sword), and perhaps the keris experts can explain its distribution and significance, and at what time it was a feature.

As with other swords in this thread, I believe this blade predates 1800, and probably by a substantial period of time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 27th July 2024 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Referenced examples in post #8 of this thread
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote