Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th July 2024, 01:10 AM   #14
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Looking back through the Archives of this site, I came across this most interesting example. It is very thought provoking and had been discussed here a little earlier. Pictures are provided in the later post but are very poor quality. I have spent some time working on them to better define the characteristics on the blade in particular. After more than a decade, it's probably worth reconsidering this keris/kris.

My feeling is that this is definitely a Moro blade but with a strong Balinese influence. My reason for labeling it as "Moro" is the central panel of twist core "pamor" and the presence of an "arrow head" formed by the confluence of two grooves running each side of the sogokan (circled on one of the pictures below). The resemblance of the gandik and lambe gaja to those seen on some Balinese keris was noted previously.

Does anyone have an example of the "arrow head" appearing on Javanese or Balinese keris? I would like to know the indigenous name and meaning for this feature because I think it may be a good indicator of "Moro" origin.

It is hard to know whether this one ever had an asang asang. There is a curious arrangement at the base of the hilt that might suggest it did, but this was not discussed previously. The relationship of the hilt to a Java daemon was discussed earlier, however. The tip of the blade appears to have been damaged, and was also commented on previously.

Dimensions of the sword were not reported.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 26th July 2024 at 01:30 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote