Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2024, 10:08 AM   #1
milandro

Default Moro Kris video

Today I found this Moro Kris video (first part, I assume other parts will follow)

the author speaks about the kris but more importantly shows how the weapon is used (which I found very interesting)

Sometimes he uses English mixed with Philippino Language (I am not sure which)

I would really like to see similar videos applied to other weapons especially Panjang Krises ( I really wonder how one is supposed to use it in a combat situation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmGqPDGbMM4&t=1s
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2024, 05:31 PM   #2
kronckew

One of many:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ASUBDknZw

Lots of videos when seaching Youtube for 'moro kalis'

One of mine, just for kicks:
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2024, 03:09 PM   #3
xasterix

The first video is legit. Mr Ibrahim is a good friend of mine, he comes from a lineage of Moro Fighting Arts (MFA) practitioners. He is Sama Tausug.

The second video is...an attempt by a Filipino Martial Arts (FMA) practitioner to make sense of the kris. Sadly not the proper way to wield it.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2024, 03:58 PM   #4
milandro

I thought so too

the second video is a wester interpretation

Look forward to see video part two by Mr. Ibrahim

As I said , I would like to see a similar video showing the use of the Panjang Kris.

If you know anyone who does this , it will be very nice.

Last edited by milandro; 12th July 2024 at 04:14 PM.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2024, 02:49 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
As I said , I would like to see a similar video showing the use of the Panjang Kris.

If you know anyone who does this , it will be very nice.
I would love to see any evidence that the keris panjang were ever intended for use in battle. But to date i have seen none. This is a subject we have discussed numerous times on the keris forum. Given the type of tang (pesi) and the length of the blade coupled with the fact that the panjang has no addition form of attachment between the hilt and blade as the kalis does with the straps attached to the asang asang, it is hard to see how the panjang could possibly be welded effectively as a combat weapon without the pesi bending or snapping off. My thinking is that it was a weapon of status and authority. Clearly it was not a keris just anyone could carry or it would be more common. But there are far less panjang to be found than regular length keris. It could, of course, be used as a means for execution, which is why it is so often called an executioners keris, but i still don't believe that was it's main function. More likely it gained that reputation because the people who were permitted to carry such a keris actually had the authority to execute.
David is offline   Reply With Quote