Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th June 2024, 12:49 PM   #1
Iain

Thanks for indulging my little game regarding the size of this one Ian, the buddha was put there as a clue about region more than size and is not a photoshop except for removing the stand that was holding up the handle of the sword.

To address first your interest in the handle and how it functions, it is of course possible a wrap was in place on the handle at some point, however there are deliberate notches in the wood to show what seems to be the optimal hand position and wood surface is no more slick or difficult to handle than many other dha I have had. However with that being said, because of the size of this piece, it is as much a polearm in many ways as a sword and in my view would be used in a similar manner, which again goes some way to explaining the unusual handle length. The point of balance is right at the guard.

The pommel is indeed solid and quite large and I would agree is a lotus bud form. The wood is most likely rosewood. The bands on the scabbard and the ferrule are samrit and its deep golden hue. There is significant age to my eyes having it in hand, to both the wood and the blade.

The blade really is something of the standout element of the sword with the fullering and geometry, I gave the basic dimensions in my previous post but can add it is nearly 5cm wide at near the tip and the fullering, while shallow past the midpoint of the blade does continue to the tip.

The blade is mounted with the usual use of large amounts of resin.

As for attribution my own feeling is that it is likely from the golden triangle region and most likely Tai Yai/Shan. Very large Shan swords are known and can also be seen in areas where they had a significant presence such as Lampang. This included period photos like the one I am attaching. While these are different in tip form it clearly shows very large swords were known in these areas. I would not be surprised if it was in fact from what is now Northern Burma, large parts of these areas had significant influence from the Lanna side up as far north as Keng Tung, where the local script and language are in fact more or less similar to northern Thai. That particular city was of course crucial for both the Burmese/Qing wars, Burmese invasions into Siam via the northern route and of course as I said at times also a crucial frontline city for Lanna. Hence my inclusion of a typical wooden Shan buddha in the one image in my first post.

Swords like this are always going to remain a bit of a mystery as I have not been able to come across another example even remotely like this, meaning we have nothing to compare it to, but I am fairly confident the regional attribution I have outlined, while broad, is not too far off the mark.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote