Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st June 2024, 06:04 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

) Possible Origin and Pamor?
Complete keris, including dress:- East Jawa
Pamor name I cannot give from what I can see

2) Can this keris be some sort of hierarchical marker? Does the kinatah in the middle of the blade have and meaning?
Almost anything can become a hierarchical marker, it depends on the hierarchy.
A band across the blade whether gold or pamor is usually understood as a protective device

3) The kinatah - Is it possible that the steel is carved to approximate shape, then fairly heavy gold is applied over the carving in a similar fashion to koftgari work, and that gold is then carved with the motif. (One possible method you mentioned above
Carved, yes, Anthony's video gives a broad approximation.
There are many methods of applying gold to iron and steel, in the video I believe we are seeing the necessary copper foundation being applied. Here is as good a non-technical explanation of the process as any.

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/fire/hd_fire.htm

4) (Last Pic). I posted this keris on another thread earlier and the opinion is that this keris was made say in the 1980s-1990s. What method would have been used for this kinatah taking into consideration more modern tools and methods were available then? Or was this perhaps fire guided too?

Yes, I think the time frame is about right, but I cannot give a supportable opinion on how it was done by looking at a picture.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote