Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th May 2024, 07:08 PM   #9
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdaniec666 View Post
The Spekulatius cookie has been an integral part of christmas pastries in central Europe since the middle ages..
where these cookies were originally , traditionally made & sold around Sinterklaas ( Santa Claus) in Belgium and the Netherlands around the good saint's birthday , i.e. 5th December, they are nowadays available all year.

The same for the delious Aachener Print....

Another tradition in this region ( Father's day ) approaching , June 16th, I stumbled upon a nice gift / piece of sweets to be given to all sweet tooth daddies as a present by their kids.
But....not from the Holland, Belgium or the North Rhine Westphalia erea, but Sweet Home Alabam !

Yes indeed, Cherri Jones, a Southern Belle sells in her Southern Tea Cake Shop in Alabama ( the good ol' U S of A ) this Husar either as gingerbread or a spekulatius cookie since 2019!

How traditions stay alive and wander over the world ( perhaps an immigrant or a Southerner stumbling upon the recipe and finding a market in the South, who knows...☺☼☺)

Maybe a good excuse for uncle Jim from route 66 to get (new) kicks at route 65 ☺☻☺
perhaps on a Milwaukee Steel Horse singin' "roll me away" by Bob Seeger....
to Sweet home, Alabama
Where the skies are so blue... (courtesy of Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 25th May 2024 at 07:24 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote