Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2024, 08:03 PM   #1
kino

Default Wax (?) on the pendok

Is there a reason why a Pendok might be covered in red wax?
It seems to be wax. There are traces of wax on the Pendok that suggests the it was entirely covered in wax, except on the front vegetative motif.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 09:34 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

It was kemalo, red lacquer, in a Central Javanese palace hierarchy this red lacquer was & is the prerogative of a bupati (regent, district governor, or a member of the royal family).

Kemalo is fragile, it needs attentive care to ensure it stops in place.

However,this looks very much like a Jogja pendok, and the wrongko & hilt are Solo, so I think what we might have here is somebody who needed to replace the Solo pendok & did not know the difference between Solo & Jogja dress.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 10:39 PM   #3
Gustav

I also thought of Pendok looking Jogja - but the upper end of Pendok and Slorok aren't typical Jogja at all. They look like they were intended to match with a Solo Atasan from beginning.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2024, 12:15 AM   #4
kino

Would such a blade be worthy to be housed in a red lacquered Pendok.

Also an image of the wrongko from the top.
Attached Images

Old 16th May 2024, 12:34 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Is the wrongko carved from a piece of teak burl?
It's quite lovely with the grain going in so many directions.

Worthy of the dress?
I think so.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2024, 05:01 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Rick, yes, burl teak (jati gembol)

Gustav, it is a very easy job to fit just about any pendok to just about any wrongko.

Kino, this is a very nice blade, but it is not the nature of the blade that decides what the pendok on the wrongko should look like, it is the hierarchical position of the person who will wear the keris.
Old 16th May 2024, 05:57 AM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Yes, and the Wilah which is the heart; may have been associated with special events in its past.
That we can only guess about .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2024, 06:03 AM   #8
Gustav

Alan - but not the end of such Slorok with elaborated pattern.
Old 16th May 2024, 06:16 AM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Gustav, the center front panel is a slorok, it is a separate part to the body of the pendok, the open end of the pendok can be made flat, or it can be made curved, this one has been made flat.

In the pic it looks Jogja, but it is difficult to know from the pic if the overall decrease from open end to closed end is sufficient for a Jogja pendok.

However, we can fit just about any sort of pendok to just about any sort of wrongko, it is an easy thing for a m'ranggi, and even for an experienced collector it is no big deal.
Old 16th May 2024, 06:32 AM   #10
Gustav

Alan, the upper end of Jogja Slorok should be more curved, as should be the end of Pendok on the backside. We can adjust the backside of such Pendok, but not the end of a Slorok with elaborated pattern and pronounced border at the Atasan without making a new border part for that adjustment there (which nevertheless wouldn' fit the overall pattern). I doubt that was the case here.
Old 16th May 2024, 04:48 PM   #11
kino

Rick - could a special event be court related?

Gustav & Alan - thank you for your input.
Old 16th May 2024, 05:51 PM   #12
Sajen

Hello Albert,

Here you can see how a kemalo pendok looks like.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2024, 05:57 PM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino View Post
Rick - could a special event be court related?
See here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...8&postcount=15
Old 17th May 2024, 12:59 AM   #14
kino

Thank you for showing the image of the kemalo Pendok, also for the added information.

They apply the lacquer thick and heavy on the Pendok, looking at the remnants of my example.
Old 17th May 2024, 07:43 AM   #15
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino View Post
They apply the lacquer thick and heavy on the Pendok, looking at the remnants of my example.
Yes, and I guess that the problem is often climate change, I've seen several pendoks where the kemalo is cracked or completely gone.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 19th May 2024, 04:33 AM   #16
A. G. Maisey

Gustav, some are curved at the top, some are not. Some Jogja pendok are made for court dress some are not. There is a lot of variation in pendoks & other dress and this is particularly true where where dress has been made to order, or made outside a major hub. Just because something does not follow a pattern such as we are used to seeing, that does not mean it misses a classification entirely.

What I said in my previous post was that it looked like Jogja. The thing that would make it Jogja or not is not the curve at the top of the pendok, it is the overall form, & whether or not that form fits the Jogja style. Lots of different pendoks from lots of different areas have a curved top, but the Jogja style pendok has a more narrow buntut that Solo or Banyumas.

Incidentally, if we wanted to turn a Jogja pendok with a curved top into a pendok with a flat top, that is a pretty easy thing to do, we just square it off & give it a new lis. No big deal. Stuff like this are sometimes done.
Old 19th May 2024, 08:22 AM   #17
Gustav

Well, I also wrote, it doesn't look like typical Jogja. By the way, the other Keris posted here by Sajen has a similar Pendok combined with a Solo Atasan.
Old 19th May 2024, 12:47 PM   #18
A. G. Maisey

Which post number is that Gustav?
Old 19th May 2024, 03:54 PM   #19
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Which post number is that Gustav?
Post #3!
Old 19th May 2024, 04:46 PM   #20
Gustav

Alan, that's #12.

Flat top, Jogja Buntut, Solo Atasan.
Old 19th May 2024, 09:35 PM   #21
A. G. Maisey

Post #12 Gustav?

You can see Jogja characteristics in this sunggingan pendok?

Am I correct in this assumption?

Detlef, I was referring to the picture of another similar pendok, it was a picture I was looking for, perhaps Gustav has formed the opinion that your sunggingan has a pendok body that displays Jogja characteristics.
Old 19th May 2024, 11:00 PM   #22
Gustav

Yes Alan, you are wright in this assumption - the Buntut of Sunggingan Pendok is Jogja style, as the Buntut of the initial Keris of this thread is.
Old 19th May 2024, 11:34 PM   #23
A. G. Maisey

Interesting opinion Gustav.

Thank you.
Old 20th May 2024, 12:41 AM   #24
A. G. Maisey

Here we have a few pendoks.

From the left we have two pendoks that most collectors at the present time would classify as Banyumas, however, these two pendoks both came off very old Surakarta (ie, Solo) gayaman wrongkos.

The third pendok from the left is a Solo Bunton, that is followed by a Jogjakarta Bunton, then a Solo Bunton, then a Jogjakarta witth a slorok, then a Solo Blewah, then a Jogjakarta with a slorok, then a Solo Blewah, then a Jogjakarta Blewah, the last two items in this line are sloroks, one from a Jogjakarta pendok, one from a Solo pendok.

Note the difference in overall profile, and the way in which the Jogja style pendok narrows towards the buntut (literally "tail", "rear end"), something that is difficult to see in a photo is that the buntut of a Jogja pendok is much more rounded than a Solo pendok buntut.

The overall profile of the pendok that Kino posted a photo of is that of a Solo pendok, however, it has a slorok that is decidedly Jogjakarta in style. The slorok of Kino's pendok could have been produced by alteration, but it is more likely that the entire pendok was made on a Solo sanglon (mandrel) in a Jogja workshop, most likely in Imogiri.
Attached Images

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 20th May 2024 at 04:32 AM. Reason: error correction.
Old 20th May 2024, 05:07 AM   #25
rasdan

Hi everybody,

What Alan said is spot on. Pendok in first post is a made in Jogja for Solo keris. So it is a Solo pendok wannabe and looks more like a Jogja pendok. I have one example but it is currently with a tukang for repair.

Another type is Solo pendok but made with repoussé technique. That is also Jogja made. I dont know if there are old Solo pendok that uses repoussé technique.

All this are new and typical pengrajin level works. I don't know if older ones exists although the one in the first post look like it has some age to it.

There is trend of mixing Jogja and Solo features on warangkas. But to my knowledge it is more towards styling and not with that type pendok. And I don't know how old is the trend or whether it is a legit style or just newer creation.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2024, 02:32 PM   #26
Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post

Lots of different pendoks from lots of different areas have a curved top, but the Jogja style pendok has a more narrow buntut that Solo or Banyumas.

Note the difference in overall profile, and the way in which the Jogja style pendok narrows towards the buntut (literally "tail", "rear end"), something that is difficult to see in a photo is that the buntut of a Jogja pendok is much more rounded than a Solo pendok buntut.
The Buntut of Sunggingan Wrongko actually is perhaps even slightly more rounded then Kino's one.
Attached Images

Old 21st May 2024, 02:41 PM   #27
Gustav

Irrelevant

Last edited by Gustav; 21st May 2024 at 03:41 PM.